one|forty|six

one|forty|six

the right words can be powerful tools, and our boney friend seems to have a way with them…

tune in next week two words too many are uttered.

1. Hazelaar says:

*gasp*! I totally missed Mr. Bones and Nadia through the fog in that second panel. It looks a lot more…ghostly? Misty and chilled, I suppose feels more correct. The depth that adds to the image is strikingly gorgeous. It’s a seemingly small thing, but like with so many of your comics, it’s the smaller details I adore.

Just had a thought. — If the whale is coming and she sees it and they see her, she can jump off the spire and be caught, then Morvo and Reggie and catch up and she gets her chapeau, and then… well, probably a miracle happens.

That won’t be what plays out. That would be just too easy and Ramon has never given us easy.

3. smjjames says:

Actuallly guys, THINK, maybe attacking him is exactly what Mr.Bones wants Nadia to do? The whole time, he has been pusing as many buttons as possible to try and piss Nadia off.

Still, I wonder what will really happen next. :)

4. Froggy says:

Judging from the face in Panel 1, and Mr. Bonejangles nasty nasty words…

Shit is about to go down. No other way to say it.

“You can mess with me. You can mess with Lenny-”

“Leonard!”

“…but like hell do you mess with my chameleon.”

A work of art, Ramon!!! LOVE IT!

5. TJ says:

great stuff ramón, can’t wait to see what happens next. I really love this bad guy, he’s as cool as he is wicked:)

6. CyCo says:

Ohh, Nadia’s pissed now. I wonder if Bones has a wish bone… lol

7. Marrock says:

You know, once boneboy there is ground to dust, someone should use him as potting soil.

At least then he’d be useful for something.

8. dree10 says:

If he says give up, I really hope she punches him. Go Nadia!

9. Danny says:

yeah. i think mr. bones is about to get whomped by nadia.

10. Unseelie Amadan says:

OH NO HE DID’NT!!!
    He is soooooo goin down.

11. Arwen says:

Kick his ass, Nadia! Kick his scrawny, bony ass!!

12. smjjames says:

@Odo: Its certainly close enough for Nadia to see it. The mantas aren’t all that dense around it.

Morvo is probably diving almost right on top of the pillar that Nadia and Mr. Bones are on

13. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by calaverakid: New #kukuburi up for eyes to peruse… http://www.kukuburi.com/v2/2010/01/21/onefortysix/

14. Two words too many… what does that mean, it’s an entire weekend until tuesday. Great post, and can’t wait.

15. Squiggle says:

Ok… coulda sworn I posted a comment yesterday. Musta failed to hit submit. Stoopid me :P

LOVING Nadia’s expression. Just so perfect. I love it when art is good enough that you don’t need words to know how the character is feeling. Great stuff as always Ramon. Can’t wait until next week.

16. Whooo…. Love Nadia’s expression in the upper panel. AW35OM3. Bodes some SERIOUS K4RM4 is in the offering. Her and boney have some BIZ to settle.

* anticipation *

17. MissVicki says:

I sure hope it is THE battle whale. But the mantas do seem to be ignoring it. :/

18. fernladyg says:

You are such a tease! I have to sit on tenterhooks until next week? Oh, the torture…

Hmmm… Well I was right about the location of the battlewhale, but it doesn’t seem sufficiently involved in the manta-things to keep Rendo from seeing her. I think Mr. Bones is lying to Nadia (again) about how close he is to victory.

Like many of us, I think that Nadia is closer (to realization of her power) than Mr. Bones has any concept of. He doesn’t know “how close she really is.”

Long wait until Tuesday, but now we have time to admire. In the book, these pages will fly by.

20. Max says:

Uuuuh, that look means business…

21. Great strip, waiting for Tuesday is so far away.

22. I really like the way the Battlewhale moves through the scenes, it really feels like it has a lot of weight to it, despite being lighter-than-air.

Come to think of it, I feel I should suggest you make a proper turnaround of the battlewhale and offer it up for a resin toy-design on PatchTogether. That would be an amazing figure…

23. Marrock says:

I know that look… I’ve seen it before… and according to a friend of mine I had the same look on my face just before it took six people to pull me off someone before I killed him.

24. BenNy says:

at the when i think you’re at the peak until it is resolved, you climb higher!

25. Kilya says:

Bah, not only do we have a cartoon cliffhanger, we have a news post cliffhanger-amplifier! dang!

26. Whudat? says:

I didn’t really notice it until now, but the colour is amazing. I don’t mean the regular colour of things, just that nadia’s top n the rays, n mr skullface’s clothes + shades. Black/Red.

Err, looks amazing! *thumbs up*

27. StrangeChild says:

Wow, the suspense is killing me!

28. Zombie Dad says:

Dearly love the comic (welcome back, Ramon!) but when will we ever see her &%#@! hat! Never before have I been so impatient to see someone’s head gear…

29. usivius says:

the expression on Nadia’s face in panel one is outstanding. Pure comic magic.
    Thanks Ramon.

30. Kimby says:

That’s it. I’m going to smash the anatomical skeleton they keep at the back of life drawing class next time I’m in there.

31. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ramón Pérez, Red's Planet. Red's Planet said: Stunning! RT @calaverakid: New #kukuburi up for eyes to peruse… http://www.kukuburi.com/v2/2010/01/21/onefortysix/ […]

32. yLanaRae says:

Um. Nadia’s face in the first frame is pure unadulterated hatred. and He is just smiling like everything is going according to plan.

My hope is that isn’t the case. I’m glad to see the Battle Whale is veering closely into this particular column of rock that has kept Nadia from joining the likes of L’Académie for much too long.

Bojangles better tear some ish up, here, man. <3
    Great post.

33. Richard says:

he said on twitter he pulled it for a little while.

34. Joseph Wu says:

Looks like the words are so powerful that they overwhelmed the picture.

35. AceDecade says:

I’m sure it’s amazing, but the picture won’t load ;_;