all stories need an end.
September 20th, 2013

all stories need an end.

outside of the comments section, january 10 2012 was my last official post.

definitely been a while.

it’s been a wild year and half. my career has skyrocketed in various different directions. 2012 was full of promotion and travel, i was barely home, and when i was i was squeezing in what work i could to make ends meet. 2013 has been a continuation, though i purposefully cut down on travel in order to refocus on work. while fantastic it’s been a blur. it seems time moves quicker and quicker as you get older and take on more responsibility.

but i wouldn’t change a thing.

things are still busy, but i’m exerting more control rather than blindly riding the wave. over the past two years i’ve talked with many people who have expressed their love of kukuburi, and others who have pronounced it’s TOD.

the one thing that rings true is the statement “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone”, and i miss kukuburi.

over the past month i’ve slowly begun to dust off the proverbial cobwebs as i ramp up towards kukuburi’s imminent return. it’s been almost two years after all. i’m not making an official proclamation of a return date, but rather to let those readers who have been patient know that i am gearing up. realistically, i’m saying early 2014. january or february is my target. currently i’m back to writing and fleshing out the story and doing layouts. next month, i hope to be back to drawing… and when i feel i have a sufficient amount of work completed i will then begin updates again.

in my absence i feel i’ve become a stronger artist, writer, and storyteller, which are all bonuses for kukuburi.

for those who have waited, written, expressed their love of the story, thank you, you have inspired.

see you all soon,

ramón.

1. chilly says:

Thank you for your candor.

A suggestion: you seem to want to want to wait until you have enough material to do a regular string of updates. This never happens because you have such a successful professional career. I would guess that the task of putting together the string off updates begins to look too much like work and you avoid it. Why not try to put out one or two new pages whenever you can? This way it might seem more like an enjoyable amusement rather than a chore.

However you do it, keep in touch with us, your fans.

2. Aikachi says:

Thank you for updating us, Ramón. Kukuburi is indeed a very unique story and we have all appreciated being immersed in such a fanciful world. I think it is a very good idea for you to keep any ideas of a release date to yourself, since letting slip well intended promises has caused some drama with your readers in the past. It has been wonderful seeing your career grow, and I am elated that you still want to continue your side projects. I’ll keep checking back here once in a while, I’m very glad I popped in here today.

Cheers

3. LilSquiggle says:

One of these days Im going to pop back here randomly and you will have updated. That day is going to be one of the best days ever :D However a news post from you was still super exciting and its lovely to hear Kukuburi has not been forgotten. I eagerly await the return :)

As always, take care of yourself Ramon and good luck with it all

Lilsquiggle

4. KReeP says:

Even if your not updating w/ a page it’s nice to see you post something. I check the page at least once a month. When you are ready to return, I’ll be here. =)

Waiting patiently. Thanks for letting us know, and congratulations on your professional success.

6. cassandra says:

The wait has been totally worth it

7. gsg0042 says:

Ditto on Odo’s comments. This is, to me, still one of the more imaginative, charming, and beautiful stories on the web. V. much looking forward to it continuing.

8. Teowulf says:

Ah! So glad I just checked this! Thank you for the update, and we will all look forward to the pages to come. Congratulations on having such success!

9. Bad Horse says:

I’d given up hope! Fortunately it was still in my RSS feed.

10. {{Major|Leviathan|Massive|Heinous}|{Expert|Masterful|Skilled|Superb}|{Excessive|Ultimate|Outermost|Endmost}|{Brobdingnagian|Colossal|Vast|Stupendous}} {{procure|take|toe-hold|acquiring}|{procurement|gain|procurement|acquiring}|{win|subjection|carry inaccurate the palm|victory in}|foothold}! {{Swift|Agile|Winged|Avid}|{Expeditious|Fleet|Lightning-fast|Prompt}|{Trigger|Immediate|Strain pushy|Brisk}|{Instinctive|Insane|Snappy|Adjacent}} {{childbirth|confinement|conveyance|deliverance}|transportation|{deport|send away|convey|pass on}|parturition}! {{With an eye to|Unequivocal|Punish|Into technicality}|{Gentlemanly|Warm|Friendly|Satisfactory}|Error-free|With an {eye|feel|the eye|predilection} to} pictures and information. Thanks.

11. Kids ATVs says:

Has to be pressured that all of the capabilities, you need to have. This can be a confident method to end up being absolutely content with you buy.

12. Laubird says:

I will never stop loving this webcomic and I understand when real life gets in the way. I just wanted to let you know that I will patiently be awaiting the return of Kukuburi, I fell in love with it years ago and I cannot wait to see it continue.

13. White Zombie says:

Hearing this makes me exceedingly glad that I’ve kept this bookmark and check it occasionally.

14. fearnow says:

Seeing as I am still holding out hope for a tattoo of a member of the chapeau gang, i am thrilled that Kukuburi may soon see life again.

Man, what a gorgeous thing it is, too.

15. I started reading this when you first published it. I just reread the to-date comics. So good – even better than I remembered. Thanks Ramón!

16. Bizz Hiebert says:

This is exciting… Patiently waiting. If the time in-between means you will be a better story writer and artist, by all means take your time..

17. Peter says:

After checking the site again, having not done so in a few months due to work stress, I was pleasantly surprised to see an update. Any update on Kukuburi gets me excited :-)
    Whenever the story continues, I’ll be there, sitting on the edge of my seat, ooooh-ing and aaaah-ing at your awesome art style.
    And, since it’s still allowed: I wish you all the best for 2014, both with your career as well as your day-to-day life. Cheers!

18. windmill says:

This comic has stuck with me since I read it, what, three years ago? Honestly it’s really inspired me from a creative standpoint, and as I plan on launching a webcomic soon, I realized that this was one of the comics that has influenced me a lot. So, on a whim I visited again, and am both surprised and awed by the promise of a future update, and quite soon at that! I wish you well and the best of luck and eagerly await the next page, whenever it is ready.

19. Oid says:

I’ve just reread the whole thing – I had forgotten just how good it was! It is one of my favorites! Again!

If you’re kickstarting this to finance a 2nd volume, I’ll pay in a heartbeat!

20. Hiei says:

…still alive?

“early 2014. january or february”

And another swing and a miss.
    Not complaining, I’d just like to know if this will ever start again…it’s good enough to wait.

21. The Ungrateful One says:

when will it start again? Never. Ramon is a very talented man, and he has to use those talents to make money to support his family and his life. Kukuburi was a hobby project that started out like wildfire, then fizzled, then died. Everyone has those unfinished projects in their life (i.e. the $15,000 in unassembled Jeep parts in my garage since 2001), unfortunately Kukuburi is destined to end as one of those projects. It was beautiful while we had it, its time to move on.

22. Noodles says:

Nah, I refuse to believe it. Tim Tuckley and Tatsuya Ishida can pull it off with web-comics. Even worthless morons like the creators of ‘least I could do’ can make a living out of web-comics – I believe our friend Ramon will return for good! Cheers!

23. Noodles says:

Nah, I refuse to believe it. Tim Buckley and Tatsuya Ishida can pull it off with web-comics. Even worthless morons like the creators of ‘least I could do’ can make a living out of web-comics – I believe our friend Ramon will return for good! Cheers!

24. Hiei says:

Still it’s april, and he doesn’t even remember to spend a word on this…not exaclty reassuring…

25. Justin Schreiber says:

Hiya Ramon. I just wanted to let you know that I miss Kukuburi. I check every few months hoping to see some closure on Nadia’s plight. You are a very talented artist who deserves all the work he gets. But I think it’s time to admit that Kukuburi is done. It’s April now and not a peep. I understand you have fans demanding an end and that puts pressure on giving out timelines. And I know it’s hard to admit, but you should just let us know that Nadia will not be returning indefinitely. Now, with that out of the way, how about you just tell us what hat is in the box? ;-)

26. yep says:

How about a kickstarter to make this an actual paid project for you, Ramon? I would definitely kick in a few bucks.

27. Radio365 says:

Ramón K Pérez ‏@theramonperez Apr 2
    .@GQuandarm not done! Things are in the works… Will be making an update soon. #kukuburi

28. “realistically, i’m saying early 2014. january or february is my target. …”

Well, I’m up late working in the Taxes – Gods curse Schedule C and Schedule SE… But took a peek. Looks like LIFE ‘n’ shit still has Kukuburi tangled up.

As a fellow creative pro, know how it is. Every time I think I might want to do a webcomic, I think of what you guys go through and I smash my face repeatedly into a wall until I get over it….

Hang in there, do what ya gotta, hope you’ll drop back in sometime and and scribble a strip or two.

29. Mythril Sage says:

Another possible avenue for this comic is to sign up for Patreon. Look it up. It has really made a difference for the authors of some of the other webcomics I frequent.

30. Hiei says:

…aaand Easter is gone.

“It’s dead, Jim!”.
    (someone had to say it…).

• EdorFaus says:

“It’s life, Jim, but not as we know it” ;)
      (someone had to respond to it…)

• New Number 2 says:

This comic is no more. It has ceased to be. It’s expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late comic. It’s a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn’t paid the fee for this webspace, it would be pushing up the daisies. It’s rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-comic!

31. i love this site a lot!

32. fred says:

he backed hiself into a corner and has no way out. If he had a way out it would’ve been done. Plenty of time to do it, but he can’t, so it dies… he’s lost his way with the story and we suffer for being loyal followers. It’s a shame but it is also the truth! Deal with it.