have a very merry…

hello everyone,

i wanted to take a moment a thank you all for your patience in waiting for new kukuburi and take a moment to wish you all a happy holiday season.

life and career have been progressing very well here (knock on wood), which has been a welcome change of pace, however the side affect is that my time is being monopolized by wonderful opportunities. i am currently working on two books and have just signed on to a third for next year. the first two have been announced: Captain America And The First Thirteen written by Kathryn Immonen and Deadpool Team-up #883 written by Skottie Young. I will be handling art on both books, the third book is a much larger project of which i can’t say anything of yet – but it’s a doozy, of which i am very proud to be a part of.

this means things have been delayed on both kukuburi and butternutsquash more than i’d care to admit.

to be honest i don’t know when i will get back to butternut, it’s of a time and an era in my past and i feel i have outgrown it. it’s something i didn’t want to admit and for years dragged on – and as one reader said “we jumped the shark.” i laughed when i read said comment as it hit home. i’d like to bring butternut back in a different form, something more appropriate to the me of now… and i have some ideas, but time will only tell.

kukuburi on the other hand is still alive and well in my heart. despite lack of updates online i am constantly working, when time permits, on the story. whether it’s writing or art. but as i said before it is something i will not rush or pump out for the sake for an update – so hate me as much as you will – but it will be done as my schedule permits. though, i will try and keep you abreast of when new updates will come as best as i can. currently, with the way things are playing out, there will be nothing new posted till february – as at that point i will have a small window between projects that i can utilize. as i get a better grasp of my workload i will post a return date.

if are intrigued you can also keep track of my shenanigans via ramonperez.com or follow me on twitter or facebook.

thank you all again.

a merry christmas and prosperous new year to one and all :)

till next year my friends,

ramón.

1. Justin says:

Its great to hear you’re doing well.

I’m excited to see what kind of changes you have for BNS, and I’m confident that Kukuburi will benefit from your break from it in the long run.

As always I will wait patiently for the continuation.

Cheers

2. Restoration-Complete says:

Oh, Look, Update!

See guys, I told you he wasn’t assassinated by ill tempered readers.

With all seriousness, though, where will this leave you and Rob? Will you continue to collaborate together on the Squash as it takes it’s left turn at Albuquerque?

3. pb_n_jam says:

Happy to hear things are going so well! Will happily and gratefully wait as long as it takes! May the coming year be filled to overflowing with laughter, creativity and much success!

Happy Holidays!

4. Alex says:

Boo! No more Butternut… Only joking ;-) If you’re not loving it then there’s no point in continuing (at least in its current form). Which is pretty much true of almost anything in life.

Have a great Christmas, Ramón, and looking forward to whatever delights you send our way!

Alex

5. iamthetruthseeker says:

Merry Christmas to you too Ramon.

And yeah, sadly, I too agree with the different state of being as you were then and now in regards to BNS.

But hey, we learn, we grow, and thus we change. It is also a positive thing, and whatever you decide for that work, I still look forward to your new endevors that are keeping you busy from Kukuburi until Feb.

Well, okay, just this once…

AWWWWW, FEBRUARY?!

There, outta my system now :p

6. Nik says:

Take as much time as you need, I’ll be here when you get back. Also, I would love to receive Rendo as a Christmas present, or Reggie would be even better.

7. Coming form the guy who just mailed his holiday cards THIS MORNING, after fighting with a balky Canon printer nearly overnight, and up to his eyeballs in print and web projects… And I have to run out to shop in about 15 min…

It would be the HEIGHT of hypocrisy to be doing ANY hatin’. Word. ‘Sides, you into some very cool workin’ stufz. Gives me some hope for mainstream comix.

So.. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY MERRY MERRY.

And have something fun, silly and sappy….

Banzai!!!

8. Selwyn says:

He’s obviously not a Kukuburi fan, else he’d be in ecstatic font all over the place!

I’ll be waiting with anticipation for any update – have a very merry Christmas and awesome New Year!

9. Jay-jay says:

I WANT THAT FOR CHRISTMAS!

10. mart says:

cheers for the seasons greetings and marry crimbo and happy new year to you Ramon.
    I’ve been a big fan of Butternut Squash and Kukuburi for years and while it’s a shame to hear about how you feel towards the Squash it’s really good to know you’re still up for more Kuku. Best christmas present I could’ve hoped for to hear more Kuku’s on the way.

thanks for bringing us your art, really, man, thanks :)

11. shagbark says:

My honest opinion… Kukuburi is in my Top Ten. Butternut Squash is not in my Top 100. Kill the Squash if it will help Kukuburi.

12. iAmSam says:

All understandable, but have a small suggestion.

I rarely check Kuku nowadays, as I’m used to it being “on hiatus”….I’m sure a lot of other people are the same. So for all those like me who may not notice it’s eventual return until they get round to checking again, how’s about a mailing list thing for when you do have a definite return date/schedule?

13. Tasia says:

Hello, sir. :D I’ve never commented before, but I think now’s a perfect time to change that.

I really do admire your work, and understand that you have other obligations. I never followed Butternut Squash, but I can relate to outgrowing things. I’ve done that, too, with characters in my writing. Sometimes you just need to let things go, you know?

Anyhow, with Kukuburi, it’s one of the comics that I read and really get pulled into. Heck, one night my brain managed to animate Mr. Bones and we had a rather interesting exchange. Pity I can’t remember it, really, but I think that says something when your characters can manifest themselves so clearly in a reader’s dreamscape.

I just wanted to say thank you for creating Kukuburi, and for sharing it with us. :D I wish you great success.

14. phathiker says:

this makes me sad…..

15. Xenon says:

Take your time, just post a listing of any comics you are working on…my son is now getting into comics, or rather wants to when he is better able to read (he’s 6, so not too far off). I want to be able to have him enjoy some good art as well as stories- rest assured he will be pointed at Kukuburi as well.

16. Kate says:

My husband just asked me what my favorite webcomics were and I said it was tied for first between a few comics including Kukuburi. I also commented on how it updates infrequently, but that despite that, it was still tied for first. Congratulations on the books and the chance to do something you so clearly enjoy! Also, I have to echo Xenon’s request. Please let us know what else you are working on, my husband’s kids are 7 and 8 and are really getting into comics and graphic novels. I’d love to direct them to your work! As many others have stated, I will continue to patiently wait for updates. Cheers and all the best!

17. Roon says:

Just take your time man :D you wanna take full advantage of any opportunity you get!! :3 I will be here, even if it takes a year o3o

18. Kayna says:

I’ll be here when you get back. I’m a Browncoat man. I know how to hold a line.

19. Jalule says:

Dude, first of all I’m HAPPY that a fellow artist is getting somewhere in life and stabiling himself -knowing how knife-edged the field is, it means you are the sharpest one around in miles.
    May I suggest some form of Jelly Bean .gif in which we can know about your new blog posts, or maybe, a possible countdown?
    If you make a single drawing like, every so or so, it’s still cool. Kukuburi for me stands aside many comics in its quality and I’m waiting whatever it takes so I can see this amazing storyline develop.

Thanks for not being a douche bag about comments (critics or not) about your comic. It just shows that you take this thing for real, not for granted.

Happy New year to you 2! (oh, and BTW, ME LOOOOOOVES this image… made me laugh way to hard XD )

20. Pike says:

I don’t know why I haven’t done this before, but I just wanted to say that your comic is great and I’m eagerly waiting for the next strip. If for nothing else, to show that Kukuburi has a following, and it’d be a shame if it wouldn’t continue.

Cheers from Finland!

21. Kassandra says:

Hey Ramon,
    I’m excited about your upcoming update, but did you mean this february or next? Even if is it February 2015 I’ll look forward it… but the weekly disappointment is killing me! Do you have a more realistic update on when kukuburi will be up and running again?

22. bigfatkent says:

Eagerly awaiting new stuff, sendin’ vibes of awesome your way Ramón!

23. BL1PJRH says:

So what’s the latest? How’s all that work going?

24. oid says:

As of now, it is no longer February..

I hope you’re back on track soon!

25. coll1nB says:

Epic stories take time, I get that. I’ll keep you in my bookmarks until you stop posting anything, but I’ll hope for some more Kukuburi and anything else your twisted little brain comes up with soon.