dashed hopes and other things…

not dead, just busy working away.

as i mentioned in my last post i’ve been away from the drafting table on a personal level for the past couple months for a variety of reasons. the main one of which is that i was buying a house. i decided to take that big first step into being an official adult (it’s a facade really) and become a homeowner, especially after all my renting woes of the past few years. it took an inordinate amount of time, and a lot of hunting, but i found what for me is the perfect place. after writing the biggest cheque of my life i made the move on july first weekend and have been slowly unpacking and settling in over the past few weeks. the place feels great – like i’ve lived there for years – despite still having much of my stuff still in boxes. though i hope to rectify this in the weeks to come.

so what about kukuburi?

i’ll be honest there’s been a little more focus on unpacking, catching my breath, and building up my coffers over the past month, but in my spare time i’ve been writing the end of kukuburi chapter one. once i feel happy with what i have i shall begin my doodling endeavour – of which i’m not too far from starting. however – rather than begin updating as soon as i have drawn a couple of pages i am going to wait till i have the majority of the remainder drawn. i’m hoping half. the initial arc of the story is ending and i want to make sure it goes up uninterrupted, so i won’t begin updates till i feel i have a comfortable buffer.

hope y’all can respect that.

that said, when will updates begin? gimme the remainder of the summer to get unpacked, settle in, and do some doodling, and i promise you it’ll be worth the wait…

i’m aiming for the end of august/beginning of september…. i’ll post a more exact return date as the time get closer.

best,

ramon.

ps/ since a few folks requested, below is a wallpaper based on the image of nadia from the last blog post! click on it to make it big and make it your own… desktop that is.

1. Aerliss says:

MOAR

*cough*

Congrats on getting you own place! I envy you. Do you feel like a grown up yet… or like a kid playing make believe still?

2. Molly says:

You are adorable. I hope you really wear a fancy hat and socks all the time.

3. Jaylee says:

Well it is good to hear nothing terrible has happened. The hiatus is slightly killing me but I am super glad to hear it isn’t going to be a permanent status :)

4. Russman says:

You gotta take care of business before business takes care of you brua! Congrats on the house! Whenever you get around to doing more Kukubri, is cool! I’d LOVE to see it in print sometime though! Keep ya chin up and keep up the good work! Mahalo!
    R~

5. Linds says:

WOOHOOOOO!!!! I’m going to start reading it all over again just to get ready for the new stuff! Good luck unpacking, I find jaunty music at an almost unbearable volume is quite helpful!

6. Bas says:

Congrats on the new place! It’s done when it’s done, such is life. So take your time.
    Here’s hoping for a print version in the future, that ships to Europe.

7. Acher4 says:

Congratulations for the house. All the best!
    We will be waiting patiently for the awesome conclusion. ;)

8. RCoaster says:

Glad to hear that things went well. Oftentimes I wonder how everything was going. I do miss Kukuburi, and look forward to the conclusion of the story arc, and to what it may lead to.

9. I love that illustration of you at the typewriter! Having moved 7 (ugh) times myself, I know the mayhem it creates, especially the first time. I’ll be here when you return!

10. Xenon says:

Woooo! A new picture or something! Actually you should make the update picture a desktop too…it pretty cool.

Update when you update, I for one will be there.

A home of your own! Loverly! :)

Trust me, we’ll all be here whenever you’re ready for Kukuburi to continue. Also…you may want to watch your posture a little bit there… ;)

12. yohseph says:

HaHA!!! this pic iz sooo kool!!!! looove it!
    i to am about to move to a new place. tho i dont own it a close personal friend does, so it nice to give my money to some one i like for a change! its just a little basement suite, but its alll mine!!!! for the 1st time ever im not moving in with a friend or a girlfriend or both, or both plus guy on the couch and one under the stairs >.>
    and for the 1st time in years i’ll beable to have all my stuph in one place. so i share your desire to unpack fully and get grounded in the new pad. take all the time you need we’ll all be here when your finished.
    stay awesome friend!

13. Kassandra says:

Thanks for the timeline! I’ll be taking Linds cue and start from the beginning.

14. Graceofbass says:

Yay! I’m glad your housing woes are over. I think there’s a different feeling when you live in a house. It feels more solid. Also, thanks for letting us know what’s going on with updates, it helps a lot :)

15. SpandexDoom says:

Congrats….and at the same time, my condolences on your new home ;-)
    Relax and take your time. Better to have you ensconced in your new habile and all comfy about it, than stressed and not putting as good an effort as you know you can into it.
    I’d rather wait for the quality goods.
    (and being my normal helpful, timely self, you need any help moving Bra? I got a beat up old pick-up truck with wonky brakes……… j/k …enjoy your new digs)

16. alex says:

I’m glad to hear you got a new place! CONGRATS!

Take the time you need, we’d rather see your usual comic’s perfection than something you rushed because you were worried about pleasing us.

Your comic is so beautiful and well thought out, it’s worth the wait!

Thanks for keeping us updated. Congrats and enjoy the new place!

17. Dave says:

Glad to hear you’re doing well. Congratulations on the house! I hope you don’t mind if I still check in daily for my Kukuburi fix. Even if there isn’t a post, I find the artwork around the site soothing.

18. yachris says:

Congrats on the house.

REALLY glad about the buffer… it’s a major kindness to your readers. We all understand about interruptions in life, but it’s so nice to have them a little smoothed out (from our POV).

19. katakata says:

Congrats on moving into your own place and into the world of big kids. :) Thank you so much for letting us know what’s up. Good luck with everything, and I can’t wait to see what you come up with next for kukuburi!

20. usivius says:

Yes, i will add my voice to the chorus of well wishes. Great choice, Ramon, and a great investment no matter how you look at it.
    As a 44 year-old-adult-home-owner-who-is-still-a-kid, I give a cheer and patiently wait for more Kukuburi AND BNS!
    BTW, I know you have done a guest bit on “Girls With Slingshots”, but have you ever thought of doing another one?… I see ‘Ramon’ and ‘Danielle’ as being sort of kindred spirits. That one live when she mentions about the possibiblity of them having sex was like doing it with a brother, was apt. I think they would make a good cross-over pair occassionally.

21. Alison says:

Congrats Ramon! Have fun setting up and making it yours!

22. nina says:

She waits not in wain who waits for a conclusion to a great comic!
    Sending good wibes to you new home and congratulating the grown up part of you, would the rest never have to do so.

23. CyCo says:

Congrats on the house!! Hopefully I’ll be at the same place as you towards the end of the year. Err, that’s buying my own place, no buying/moving in with you. lol Honestly, the moving has to stop. My record was 4 times in 26 months. That hurt my brain.

24. Mishyana says:

Good on you, man =) I just appreciate you keeping us updated on what’s happening as opposed to just disappearing one day without a word, ever. Take your time.

25. cHuckoo says:

Wahay. Can’t wait to see how it goes on. Great comic (haven’t said that here before) and can’t wait to see more. All the best w/ your house

26. Samuriartguy says:

HOUSE!!!!

hope y’all can respect that.

Sounds like a plan. To mangle the expression, I’m sure it will… look good on paper. (or pixels)

HOUSE!!!!

Oh MAN, I recall taking the plunge in 2001 and writing a stack of INSANELY lagre checks. [The Thing] It’s ADUUUULLT TIIIIMEEEEEEE!!!! [/The Thing]

HOUSE!!!!!

Heh heh heh.. that consuming homeness of it all is just beginning.

Awesome!

27. bee says:

you are an inspiration. i reread your comic over and over, and i hope you’re having fun settling into your home!

28. Puzuma says:

Congrats on the new digs. My family just moved to a new apartment and I totally understand the need to unpack. My wife and I both hate living out of a box.

“I don’t want to grow up, I’m a Toys’ R Us kid
    There’s a million toys at Toys ‘R Us that I can play with!
    From bikes, to trains, to video games,
    It’s the biggest toy store there is! Gee whiz!
    I don’t want to grow, cuz baby if I did,
    I wouldn’t be a Toys ‘R Us kid!”

29. Lily says:

oh good god i hate moving and stuff. I’m too young to be out on my own, (tender age of freshmen… *shiver*) but i do know how much of a headache it can be. I’m sooooo happy you’re settling in and such. …I’ve always wanted a house all done up in Tim Burton style stripes! XD lol. Being a kid playing make believe as an adult sounds like the best way to go to me, and I’m ecstatic to hear that there will be more kukuburi! <3 yaaaay! FINALLY! I look forward to seeing what your epicly awesome mind comes up with next! Keep up the fantabulous work!

P.S. i agree, your hat is great. i love hats and i always wear a black and white beanie-style hat with black panda ears on it. yaay! panda hat! <333

30. KWCarlson says:

Love the comic, looking forward to reading the rest once your life gets back in order.

“Faking it.” Yep. You keep on faking it for the rest of your life, but having a house adds a certain gravitas to the “faking it.”

Congratulations on the acquisition of your new money-sink, and looking forward to the conclusion of Chapter 1 (and the implied start of Chapter 2).

32. dlaiyre says:

Happy to wait. Like a kid waiting for christmas. :) Already commented above but love the socks.

33. Istas says:

Hey dude, glad to hear you’re enjoying it. I hope things work out well for you. Eager for more of your art and writing but never at the cost of somebody’s sanity, hee hee.

34. JW says:

Keep it up. Great stuff! Reminds me of Winsor McCay: that is a compliment.

35. Restoration-Complete says:

Seriously, who lets these bloody ad spammers loose… I mean, at least this one had the good sense to hide the link in a block of text…

<3 ya Ramon, I too just burned my last dime on a house… I know all too well what you're going through… I just hope to see some Kukuburi love =D

36. mt10 says:

Looking forward to reading you soon…

37. bon says:

End of August soon, hope’s rising :)

But seriously, a little buffer sounds like a very good thing!

The only thing I want more than a new page of Kuku, is knowing that you’re not feeling (too) rushed by my whining :)

38. BenNy says:

I’m really glad you’ve given an update.
    And I’m really glad you’re in a house now.
    Wow, It’s been a while…

39. Jessica says:

Wow I had to go back and reread this comic and still I love it so much so thank Ramon for making this comic and take your time. last month I helped 3 different friends move so I understand it can be crazy with unpacking.

40. Psyra says:

When I was flipping through Spacecast’s Innerspace episode on ComicCon this morning (AKA Space Network in Canada) I caught a glimpse of Kukuburi panels (the ‘Look into my eyes’ one)… but sadly was too late to catch the whole segment. Were you there, and I somehow managed to miss finding your booth? Aaargh! Anyways, gratz on the new home. :)

41. Aranha says:

Congratulations :)
    Aaaaaand… I’m waiting impatiently for next pages :)

Hey, in my native language “tak” means “yes”, so for me the picture above looks like the typewriter is shouting “yes yes yes” (suitable fot the cotton candy worls :D) :)

Greetings,