one|sixty|one

one|sixty|one

thank you for all the great comments over the last few pages! i’m really happy everybody is enjoying the story with it’s twists and turns thus far! i will try and go through all the comments individually when i get a free moment and answer any pertinent queries…

now, yesterday i mentioned that i would be attending the toronto wizard world show this weekend. that is still  the case, but i most likely will be showing up late friday due to work and quite possibly cutting sunday short. i’ll be playing it by ear as my workload is quite heavy. i will be posting my attendance on my twitter if you want up-to-the-minute updates!

UPDATE: i will not be attending the toronto wizard world on sunday march the 28th.

1. smjjames says:

That gives another meaning to pull yourself together.

Also, the image isn’t showing up on the comments page.

2. smjjames says:

nm, its showing up now, ignore my previous comment on that.

3. Moop says:

thank you for including that last frame. o.O

lovin’ the Kuku sweetness going on with this story arc.

4. smjjames says:

Could you increase the font size of the first speech bubble? its pretty difficult to read, the other two are okay.

Sorry for the triple post here, heh.

5. Keelhaul says:

Darn you and your tiny fonts!!!

6. smjjames says:

I was able to read it if I looked closer, but yea I got the idea that it was part of the dramatic effect.

7. Fable says:

Somehow I don’t think bonesy is gone for good…

• TodaysLoverly63 says:

I’ve got that same feeling, dude.

• Bearpelt says:

@Fable & TodaysLoverly63:
      Trufax.
      Or, if he is really dead/gone/whatever, than someone cooler/scarier/even more powerful will prolly take his place.
      Or maybe Mr. Bones’ll come back more powerful himself. Or something. I dunno. We could speculate all day, I guess.

8. Hannah says:

I think Nugget is officially my favorite character. :)

9. smjjames says:

You know, its like Nugget or Leonard (Leonard I think, Nugget doesn’t seem to talk much) is telling Nadia to not let the dark side of the force take hold.

She was getting consumed by her concealed anger and feelings, which is partially why Anakin Skywalker went to the Dark Side, and was becoming like Mr Bones, consumed by hate or something and Leonard is tellimg Nadia to let go of those feelings.

Now Leonard just needs to talk like Yoda to clinch it :)

I wonder if you are a Star Wars fan Ramon.

• Ramón says:

well i’m not going to deny being a star wars fan. i’m also not going to deny the similarity in the mood/feeling of the scene. it couldn’t be helped for what i want to achieve… especially since i am using classic archetypes.

however i may try and re-edit the scene a bit before i go to print.

i will reveal this much; it has nothing to do with good and evil, or light and dark, or the darkside… or the force. no jedi’s here :P

time to go and sleep now.

• SuperJerms says:

How much should we read into that about who Bones really is (DUN DUN DUN!!!)?

BTW, longtime listener, firsttime caller. Ramon, i’ve read through a lot of webcomics in my day, and Kuku is easily the top dog right now. Good stuff. Love it.

• Bearpelt says:

Yeah, I totally see what you’re saying, actually.
      Maybe to let go of feelings of regret. That’s what I’d guess.

10. Badtrak says:

Today this comic made my day. Rest well Ramon, thanks again for an amazing story

11. Joe says:

Oh yeah baby! Who predicted that the battleship game scene would come into play here? Go me!

So now we finally see the culmination of Nadia hitting him right on the head with her shot. Kind of a roundabout way of getting to the point, but at least it didn’t come too late.

Since this reality seems to be created from her dreams, she needn’t fear for the lives of her friends because all she would have to do is dream them alive again and they would be.

Where is that dude with the package? If they were close enough for her to witness the destruction of the battle-whale, it shouldn’t take to long to get to her when you have jetpacks n stuff.

12. Toxsan says:

Darn! And so evil (Allegedly) is vanquished. Just as things were looking up for Bones.

Yes! Leonard is there!

I saw the increasing typesize as Leonard’s voice penetrating the roar of the fire as Nadia lets it go (and gets her face back — which is a good thing because I like her face).

Great climax (not end) to this segment of Nadia’s story.

15. Keeper says:

Nugget…is…so…badass.

16. dlaiyre says:

Loving it!

17. moxicity says:

Hmm… I really like Kukuburi, but story-wise it’s been pretty unsatisfying.

I know you had problems and shite and what-have-you-life thrown on you, which took you away from the comic for short and long periods of time. I sympathize! But for me, this makes the “story” really hard to follow.

Also I’ve been really panging for more establishing-of-the-world kinda stuff… the great art and highly charismatic Chapeau gents don’t make up for the lack of whatever I feel is missing. It’s been total pandemonium and panicky running around and AAAUUGH! drama since Nadya fell into this world, and not much else.

Perhaps it’s the fact that in more than a year, the plot has actually moved forward by a couple of hours? Or perhaps I’m misreading it. Nonetheless, you are an awesome artist and I’m not trying to gripe :P this is simply my personal feeling. Cheers!

• Joanna says:

Sorry, but what I hear is, “Hey Ramon, it’s cool that you’re handing out free ice cream and all, but can you stock butter brickle instead of vanilla? ‘Cause it’s not enough that the ice cream is free.”

Seriously. This is just Chapter One (of who knows how many) and you can go back and read the archive from the start any time you want. Quitcher whining.

• moxicity says:

I’m sorry you read it that way, though it’s cool Ramon has such passionate fans. Seriously though, Kukuburi is one of a bajillion other webcomics I read. I LIKE Kukuburi, but like many other webcomics, it has aspects that I dislike or wish were different. This doesn’t make the webcomic itself somehow “worse” and I don’t put any demands to the authors, because, pshyeah. Shit happens, yknow? I get that. No biggie.

Some people are completely fine with the pacing and all the other hoobla I pointed out. I personally am dissatisfied, but that doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to say anything about it. Yes? No? Dissing on the comic and Ramon, yeah, that’d be asshole-y. I think/hope I didn’t do that.

• Bearpelt says:

While I agree that breaking up a story because of pauses (I personally think things should be submitted by chapter instead of by page, more often than not), but I also am a big supporter of the idea that plenty of people have lives that don’t revolve around the internet.

I agree, tho, that I’d like to see more world-establishing, but I feel like this is just the beginning, y’know? Once the brouhaha that’s happening right now subsides long enough for characters to chat, I’m betting on more world-explaining.

Kudos to you for being polite about criticism instead of being all “RAGE D<"

• Quats says:

Stories that don’t explain everything and feed you all the details by spoon tend to be more interesting. After all, we keep reading to find out, “who is that guy?” or “what the $@%*(& just happened?!” or “where is this and why did that just happen?” The trick is keeping a balance: enough information to get you attached to and believing in the world and characters, but enough yet missing to keep you questioning and coming back for more.

That little “OMG, I wish he’d hurry up because I want to know more” whispering in the back of your mind is usually the sign of a good storyteller!

18. Reidic says:

They way it seems to me is that Mr. Bones was doing just what he offered; releasing Nadia of her torment, and burning away her humanity so He could take it himself.

19. So that’s where Mr Bones came from.

20. Lee Cherolis says:

This is NOT the end of Mr. B. He’ll be back, and I hope he’ll be all half-covered in flesh and extra creepy. Like, maybe with exposed eyeballs this time. YES!

21. Fitz says:

Talk about losing your head…

22. Cinga says:

Remember, Bones was only a servant. The real evil is still out there.

23. Joanna says:

Oh: and Nugget is my favoritest. I hope someday I can get a plush one to put on my desk.

24. Eidalac says:

YES! HAHAHAHAHA! :D

25. Daniel says:

Well worth the wait to get to this point, and I can’t wait to see more, Ramón!

26. Dennis says:

This begs the question if everything gets stripped away from her would she become the new Ms. Bones?

• Daniel says:

I think it may have been a possibility, but Nugget saved the day. And as a fellow story teller, I’m just jealous at Ramón’s ability to weave a story AND draw his amazing art.

• kristina says:

I am not so sure on Mr. Bones being Nadia, but I wonder if she was becoming like him, or something..

*grabs Ramon and hugs him*

Beautiful! Just beautiful! Wow.

It’s so much easier to give in and close ourselves off from our humanity to protect ourselves from pain and fear and loss. Nadia is choosing the hard fight of continuing to live and love. What a hero she is!

Come on, Nadia! We’re all pulling for you, girl. :)

28. I love the tossing of Mr. Bones off the side of the rock without a single glance. Good riddance (for however long) to bad rubbish. As long as nadia gets back all her little fleshy bits….

29. Daniel says:

I just had to go back and review the last six or seven pages…wowsa! I hear in my brain the typically french onomatopoeia “PAF!!!” when Nugget smashes Mr. Bones’ head.

I’m just glad to know you’re going to update these down the road, even if your schedule and life make it more sporadic than I’d want – because I’m irrevocably hooked!!!

30. Sam says:

Ramon I love your comic, I am such a big fan. Don’t change a thing…unless you want to and then I’ll just have to deal:P

31. ckozy says:

Perhaps not so much evil vs good, but rather cynicism vs a childlike love of all that is beautiful in the world. Too many of us lose the ability to find the joy and wonder in our lives. Too busy being busy I guess. Time to take back our ability to find happiness in the little wonders. So says a “cynical scientific reductionist”. Balls to that! Bring on the love of curiosity! (My epitaph, perhaps?)

• Bearpelt says:

Huh. I never thought about it like that. I like your thoughts on this.
      I’m actually viewing Kukuburi in a new light now. Not only am I looking at good vs. evil, but also at childlike joy vs. cynicism.

32. Restoration-Complete says:

My epitaph will be “Did stuff, Lived well”… it’s in my will. Anyways, during this entire confrontation, we have seen no manta, now even after zooming out into the twilight of nightmare, we still… see… no… manta… Are these little reverse Baku still out there? or have they diminished after Mr. Bones surprisingly easy ‘defeat’.

33. Jón says:

I was actually looking forward to see Mr. Bones in the flesh…

34. WDCat says:

Lenny made it! (So far at least.) Whew!

35. I love it so much.

36. Restoration-Complete says:

Um, no, I don’t see Lenny, just Nugget…

37. Toxsan says:

considering the extreme amount of detail that Ramon puts into these, we can either assume that lenny is off frame or we are hearing nugget’s voice.

38. Naomi says:

god this is getting so exciting <3 <3 am i the only one who has hopes for bones getting good after this?

39. justme says:

at first I thought it was nadia’s voice here, but then I remembered that leonard has the pink speech bubbles (love the different-colored speech bubbles, BTW–easy to know who’s saying what without tails), however I don’t see lenny here. Am I missing him, or is he off screen?
    Also, anyone notice how nugget’s tossing Mr. Bones off the platform is reminiscent of Mr. Bones’ tossing Zulu off the cliff in an earlier panel? Maybe not intentional, but cool nonetheless.

40. CyCo says:

Woah!! That second frame is totally freaky!! You ‘da man Ramon, Kuku certainly rocks!! 8]

41. Oblivian says:

Oh look, it’s that guy!

42. Mossy says:

Whoo, talk about “Nightmare Fuel” for the last few pages. Considering the consequences of what would have happened without Nugget…

Also, um, did anybody see that last panel and think of ME2 Commander Shepard’s scars?

43. usivius says:

adding my voice to the chorus: “Amazing”…

44. Sylph says:

I can’t believe this!! All the epicness of this page, all the cool metaphoricalliness, and you all are whining about the font size??!!!! I don’t understand it! Y’all need glasses, anyway, the thing’s perfectly legible-WITHOUT leaning in real close, too!

Congratulations, Ramon, although I think I’m not the only one who’s sad to see the back of Mr. Bones. He was an utterly cool bad guy!

I can’t wait for the print version! This looks wonderful!

I think we first met both Lenny and Nugget together at the same time. It wouldn’t surprise me if Nugget caught Lenny when he was falling, seeing as he’s also here to help Nadia.

47. kookaburra8su says:

Cool…
    Give in to your anger, I’ll take your life and you take my place to serve my master.

48. Byrd68 says:

Oh. MY. GOD. …ok, that was really gay, but your work here is so @&$%ing cool! First BNS now this… you are my new favorite web comic creator. Cannot wait for A) the next installment and B) a print version that I can share with everyone I know.