one|fifty|two

one|fifty|two

i want to say more on today’s update but i think the page speaks for itself. it’s a turning point on many levels.

there were some interesting observations mad over the past couple of updates which specifically want me to clear up the storytelling a little. when the first nightmares arose there were 5, but since i have not had any establishing shots where these fellows are in relevance to anything. my bad. one thing i will definitely clear up in the print addition.

also, today there are two new additions to the FAN ART GALLERY, the first by ben todd and second by graham johnson. i love seeing people’s interpretations of kukuburi’s denizens – so if you have one, or are so inclined – please share :)

have a great weekend all and i will see you next week!

1. Druhim says:

Lovely art as always. Powerful moment, interested in seeing where this goes. More interested in the story than I’ve been in a while as it seemed to kind of be drifting aimlessly. Hope people don’t cry too much about the battle whale dying. Keeping all the “nice” characters alive doesn’t necessarily make for the most interesting storytelling and it’s good to see there’s some actual danger in this world you’ve created.

2. elle says:

Please tell me little birds will lift it to heaven in a net.

3. Archivist says:

It looks like Rendo is down as well. Is that one of his limbs in the crash site?

4. Pat Whatley says:

Noooooooooooooooo! Battle Whales can not die!

5. smjjames says:

Just a slight inconsitency, on the top there are rwo wounds to the upper lip, but on the bottom there is only one. I’ll just chalk that up to artistic license.

@Archivist: Theres probably plenty of nasty stuff around to have a purple tentacle, but considering he was right there when the claw smacked down, its likely. Either that or he is airborne with mr.bojangles, and the two headed dragon guy that the nightmare ripped off the whale.

And um, yea Antonie is definetly not getting up easily from that.

He seems to have an extreme pain look in his eye, or is saying ‘I”M REALLY BLEEPING PO’d OFF NOW!’, or both.

• WDCat says:

I’ll disagree with you on the whale’s wounds. The wound closer to the whale’s body looks like it’s mainly on the underside of the upper lip. So it’s visible to us in the first shot when the whale’s body is rolled away from us but not in the second when he has rolled towards us.

Of course, I’ve been wrong before and I’ll likely be wrong again once or twice in the future, so feel free to correct me if this is one of those moments, Ramón! :)

6. BenNy says:

don’t tell me thats rendo’s tentacle in the second panel!
    UAGH!

That pretty much has to be Rendo’s tentacle, since there are no other purple tentacles in the book so far, and Ramon would not cheat like that. However that doesn’t mean that Rendo is dead — only down.

I’m pretty sure the battlewhale is dead, however, or at least unconscious, as there is no life in its eyes at all in the second panel. However the gun turret is still on its back, so there is still a possibility of offensive action from that quarter.

8. wracky says:

Damn kukuburi would look awesome animated :P

9. RAWLS says:

Great frames my friend!!!

10. Joanna says:

Antoine! Nooooooooooo!

11. smjjames says:

@Odo: That still leaves the question of where the others are, Mr Bojangles and the two headed dragon are certainly airborne in the gondola section, Morvo and Reggie could be safe since Morvos rocket pack was still functional when the nightmare attacked. We haven’t seen Dado since the battle started, so we have no clue about him as well.

• Odo says:

Not to mention that Zomgz is busy battling another one of the nightmares on his lev-pads. I am more than certain that the battle is not over yet, not by a long shot.

I am also certain that Nadia is the critical element and that when we finally see what Ramon has created that we will be satisfied. Perhaps not totally happy, but satisfied.

12. smjjames says:

Actually, since Dado is a spider, maybe he could have used his webbing to make a big parachute to bail out with?

13. Miraran says:

Dado should still be in the turret, manning his cannon. Assuming he did not evacuate into the gondola when it was ripped off of course.

14. Fitz says:

Wow…. THAT’S a lot of sushi

15. smjjames says:

@Miraran: The turret looks pretty empty to me……

Theres gotta be escape pods somewhere since it is a battle (ship) whale and there is a chance for the ship to go down in battle. The gondola looked pretty intact (if smashed up somewhat), so they could have some sort of balloon for emergency use or when antonie would be on vacation or whatever.

16. as363 says:

I’m not going to try and second-guess at this time – rather wait til the conclusion of this arc draws near . At that point – go back to the Bones first appearance and read thru again . Ther’s so much going on at this period that – as the song said – “Anything Goes” .

OH NOES!!!! :(

18. Danny says:

not the battlewhale! RENDO. Would that leave Mr. Bojangles in charge of le brigade?

19. Miraran says:

@smjjames

There’s a black ‘ball’ in the middle. Now whom do we know that’s black and somewhat spheroid?

20. Lurial says:

Poor Battle Whale!

21. smjjames says:

@Miraran: Thats the control pad /trigger for the cannons.

You can get a good look here: http://www.kukuburi.com/v2/2009/05/19/onetwelve/

Theres one showing it empty and cannons retracted while they were at the valley of giants.

22. Sylph says:

Oh! Whale down! Hopefully not out, I think the nightmare just threw off his momentum. He’s hurt, not dead, amiright?

23. Darz says:

But where is the package?? Morvo dropped it during the action of 149, 2nd panel. How will it make it’s way to Nadia!! Is it a hat? Is she to become part of La Brigade du Chapeau? Many thanks Ramon for the weekly fun. I too can’t wait to purchase a copy when you get the book out. Until then, awesome weekly suspense!

24. What about the flying otters? Aquatic mammals have to stick together!

Hmm? I hope Ramon is OK. He usually lets us know about delays in updates.

26. smjjames says:

Yea, wondering what happened to yesterdays update…..