one|forty|eight

one|forty|eight

apologies to all for today’s late update.

i had finished everything at 5pm and decided let it simmer for a couple of hours as i went to meet a friend for a round of drinks and dinner. my thought in this was that i wasn’t quite happy with the original dialogue and i had to let it sit and come back to it to see if i liked it. well, dinner was originally supposed to be an early affair as my friend had to finish packing later. you see he is moving to korea for an indefinite length of time. but needless to say the night continued on as we caught up and then said good-bye.

i didn’t get back to the studio till almost midnight – and from that point on i wrestled, bleary eyed, with the dialogue – till now.

at the end of the day, because of the delay, the story is better for it :)

i’m glad you all enjoyed p147, it was really nice to see the discussion in the comments section. i’ll have to go through there and chat with you all as there are some very interesting viewpoints and observations. but for now i still have another hour or so of work ahead of me… and then bedtime beckons.

see you all next week when, well… oh boy.

1. Esn says:

This is really excellent. I love the colours!

2. yLanaRae says:

So. Many. Mantas.

Wooooow. I can’t wait for the “well…oh boy.” part of next week.

I’m getting really antsy. Really, really antsy.

Oh, my, the fog of battle realized in detail. Hundreds of important things all happening at once. Ramon, you realize things so well. Still, I think that Nadia will be something soon, something that happens very suddenly to Mr. Bones. :)

4. Sam says:

UNLEASH THE BLUE BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!

5. I’m eager to see what Nadia’s hat looks like— the suspense is terrible! The mechanic of naming is interesting as well. A little bit L’Engle? It’s a fun thing.

Is it just me, or has Rendo’s accent increased this page, along with the direness of the situation (and no doubt his blood pressure).

Such greatness! Go, Morvo!

7. Great, loving the blitzgreig of mantas.

8. Hazelaar says:

“unaware and in foul hands – ” = *love* ^ ^ ! There is something about that one line that I just adore.

9. as363 says:

Why can I hear the music of an old TV cartoon in the background “Here he comes to save the day” – even though the situation appears dire – I had to chuckle as the song ran in the background of my mind.

10. BG says:

Just wanted to say: you’re doing a great job and thanks for updating this so often.

11. Danny says:

i can’t read this comic without thinking about how amazing it would be to see it animated. Would that ever be a possibility?

12. Sam says:

Now Danny has the right idea, when ever I read this comic I sort of do an anime play in my mind of this thing.

13. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ramón Pérez, Joe Vriens, Jose Anibal Gonzalez, Lydia, James McGarry and others. James McGarry said: Yay! #Kukuburi update: http://www.kukuburi.com/v2/2010/01/29/onefortyeight/ [...]

14. smjjames says:

Does anybody else imagine Morvo with a New York or some other east coast accent? Seems like he has some American accent, but I can’t really place it.

15. Cinga says:

It should be “Quoi?”, not “Que?”. Otherwise, very nice, as always.

• Ramón says:

thank you cinga, been away from all the proper files so i haven’t had a chance to change it. one of the first things i do once i get back to my studio computer…

16. Bregalad says:

I’m so glad there was someone to rescue that heroic little bee when he needed it.

@Bregalad: Yes, Reggie rocks. :)

18. Simon says:

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Why, why must the suspense be so great?!

19. sythiar says:

Can I correct your French again? I hope you don’t mind… ^^;
    I would use “Quoi?” instead of “Que?” – i’m pretty sure it’s normally used for “What?” in French. “Que?” sounds wrong to me.

Sorry, for being so creepy all the time, btw.

• Ramón says:

no worries sythiar. when researching the explanation wasn’t quite clear. so i was unsure which to use. this is the aspect i love of putting stuff out there on the web to a global audience – mistakes can be found and corrected. i’ve always said this is the beta version of kukuburi, the first draft if you will, and the audience my global editor :)

cinga already mentioned it earlier, i just haven’t had a chance to correct it due to being away from my computer… first thing i do when i return to my studio :)

• Evanrude says:

*sits in his dusty corner with an empty bottle of distilled Kukuburi at his feet, twitching and crying for his Kukuburi fix*

• Ramón says:

HAHA! that was too funny :P

• Evanrude says:

Senór Ramón, you have turned me into a complete Peréz junkie!

If I got more than a week without a fix of Kukuburi or Butternut Squash, I get all clammy and wobbly and start to lose perspective. :D Then I am forced to settle for reading some PVP or AppleGeeks in order to get a little bit of that warm fuzzy feeling that your art effortlessly fills my veins with!

((Yes yes I’m a bit nutty, but I’m an artist and therefore I’m allowed my eccentricities!)) Bwaaahahahaha. (scampers away with Nadia’s hat box and claws it open to gaze at the fabled chapeau)