one|nineteen

one|nineteen

i’m hosting my own personal intervention…

you see i have a terrible habit. i think it stems from my initial years of trying to survive as a freelance artist.  the offending habit is the difficulty of saying “no” to a job and by default overbooking myself. but recently things have clicked in my brain as i have reached burn out far too often this year – and after too many years of keeping this kind of pace – things are finally sinking in.

i have decided on a course of action to move my career towards a balance where i can eventually live off my own ideas rather than those of others. it’s gonna be scary, but i can do it.

but first i have to wrap up my obligations.

with that said, this weeks update will only be one page, and next week’s update will happen though it might be a bit later in the week, but it will be a full update. i’ll keep people posted via twitter and the facebook group (links up on the left if you’re unaware…)

AND NOW…

i’d like to invite you all to join myself and all of the TX creators in the new Transmission-X Community Forums.

we hope to build a small little community with the great people surrounding our comics. pay a visit when you can, read what’s up, make a new post, ask a question… skies the limit.

there is one question there i am asking a little input on. i am looking at creating kukuburi vinyl figures and am trying to figure out who to start with. lend me your thoughts :)

…beyond that, see you all next week (or sooner if we chat in the forums!) when things essssplode!

cheers.

1. raider_geek12 says:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Luv this strip

2. Steve W says:

Oh the joys and freelancing. That thought that even though you have ten jobs going on at once and half the deadlines are this week, one more job wouldn’t hurt. Beautiful page, can’t wait to see this explodo you speak of.

3. Paul says:

Ah, to live off your own creations instead of working for others. Sounds pretty good. I really hope that it works out for you,

4. atticuskich says:

I love how the Battlewhale demands her attention, mid-issue.

It sounds like you are coming to personal realization of “Everything in moderation.”
    Congrats! I wish you luck on achieving it ^_^

• Ramón says:

it’s funny how something so simple that is an ethos in so many other aspects of my life, took me so long to implement in my professional life.

5. faetea says:

i love kukuburi! i was so happy to read this today.

6. Joanna says:

Vinyl figurines? Reggie Reggie Reggie Reggie Reggie!

And you go, Ramon. Follow your dreams! I mean it!

7. Joanna says:

Or the battlewhale. The battlewhale would make an awesome paperweight.

8. Kookaburra8su says:

I was waiting for this, she has all the power of dreams. Good and bad.

Fly Girl, FLY!!!

9. mykie says:

i would buy a vinyl Rendo in a heartbeart. That said, i would also buy any vinyl figure associated with kukuburi in a heartbeat.

huge thumbs up for the figures idea, i really hope you see it through.

as always, wonderful strip.

10. Lijabo says:

Woo, awesome page. Even though it was pretty clear what Lenny was going to say, it was still awesome to see him say it.

Good luck with your changing things up!

And I second a Reggie figurine…and also any others.

11. I know how you feel to a degree. I’m in a constant battle for my time, balancing family and work. I keep ending up accepting freelance work thinking any money is helpful money, and then spend far more time than it was worth to accomplish.

Then there are the times when something is so late, that you just don’t want to pick it up. You know that if you could just find the time, and bear down you could get it finished up, but then as soon as you’re on the computer, you going through emails, or thinking about cleaning up those desktop icons that don’t really need to be organized right now.

Or posting comments on a favored comic site when you should be doing the finishing touches on a commissioned website.

12. distantvoices75 says:

Grrreeeeeaat :-)

This looks like big bang convergence to me. Flying Nadia. Battlewhale and stone beasties stalking throu’ mist.

13. Adam says:

Left it too long to make a ‘fan-art’ sculpt of a few characters then if you’ll be getting them made professionally, but good luck on the venture, really look forward to seeing how they come out.

14. Doc says:

Reggie as a vinyl statue? Gods, no. He needs to be a plush toy for squeezing!

15. Jon says:

So I was looking at the Comic Press site for ideas on how to setup my own. One of the ‘demo/example’ sites was Kukuburi……wow. I have no idea how I never heard of this before, but it’s amazing.

Love your art style (it reminds me of Ben Caldwell’s a lot), and the story is awesome. Definitly goes onto my must read list:)

16. Mar says:

Wow. I actually found you through one of the ComicPress demo sites. I just sat through every comic and can not tell you how much of an inspiration you are. I won’t talk about what I plan to do, because I’ve decided to stop talking and start doing! All I can say is my current comic is just a test…

If you’re going to have figurines made for potential sales, Nadia would be an obvious choice, and Rendo, and the battlewhale. After that, Mr. Skull is another obvious.

I WANT MORE.

However, I want you just insane enough to continue Kuku, so I’m willing to wait.

With respect.

18. Emily says:

I would buy the Reggie nightlight!!

((after checking funds))

I would ask someone to buy the Reggie nightlight for me!!

Thanks for sharing your art with us, you have an incredible gift and I’m really loving the story. Okay, fawning over.

@mar, @Jon, wow… that’s really cool! tyler asked to use kuku as a sample for the site… but that’s just cooooool!

@odo… trust me i want to give more! i’m chomping at the bit, it’s so frustrating!

@emily, you’re welcome… and i’ll see what i can do about the lamp ;)

20. Cocodaye says:

Always worth the wait Ramón.

Out of interest, would you be able to sell parts of strips, for example, the bottom frame of the current one?

• Ramón says:

do you mean original art wise?

if so then no as, well, i’m not selling the originals and it is also on one sheet of art board with the other panels.

but, if you are inferring prints, then yes, i can do prints of individual panels :)

21. Margatron-Toronto-Fan says:

Buuuhhh YES. If the guys at halfpixel.com can make a living solely off their own creations, surely you can too with such high-quality work. I’ll gladly buy every last scrap of merch you offer! I’m a huge fan!

As for resin figures, I suggest the rock-guy with flower on top.

22. Quaisor says:

the way you draw that snail is comicly genious. I laugh evertime I see him!

23. Finn says:

do you HAVE to start off with just one figure? can’t you release at least two? because if not it would have to be Nadia herself. she’s the title character after all. It could be tricky- we all love her but of course she’s not as visually sharp as the non-human characters which is….everyone else. And if you still don’t want Nadia as the primary figurine then it would have to be………………………..ZULU!!!!!!! Given the visuals of the characters, i believe they would sell just about anywhere- not restricted primarily to the comic book stores. They sell stuff like that now in modern youth clothing stores, gadget shops, etc so i think they’ll have cross border appeal to people who may not have heard of Kukuburi. Good luck Ramon, you’re doing brilliantly!

24. Juas have to say… got pointed here and sucked down the entire back strips in three days. You have probably one of the most visually lush and beautiful… not to mention surreal web comics I have seen to date. Crisp flowing linework, brilliant, and brilliant gorgeous color. And as a working Creative Pro myself, I SO GROK the time, obligation, burnout triangle. So my special thanks for making such s visual gift of Kukuburi! Trés AW350M3!

25. Parrot says:

DAARGH!
    I love the format of the comic but it is not enough story for me!
    You had better have an antidote, Ramon, because I’m a Kukuburi-junkie.

• Ramón says:

i’m trying my best to make sure your fix arrives uninterrupted till the completion of this arc! and then i will embark on collecting all into a nice and pretty book :)

26. Akinobu says:

Great as always!!! ;)
    Can’t wait to next one :]

27. bon says:

A book is way on top of my wishlist ofcourse, something hardcover and glossy, as soon as the story progression makes it natural for a book to be made.

As for figurines, I’d almost certainly buy something, but I have to admit, Nadia would not be my first option – nothing against Nadia as a character ofcourse, but all the other characters are so off the wall and lovely, I’d simply much rather have them on my shelf.. Just my 2 cents, and I can certainly see the logic that makes people say Nadia is a logical first choice.
    Personally I like the idea of Reggie as a vinyl better, but my ideal choice would be the tillywump from http://www.kukuburi.com/v2/2008/06/17/eightynine/ – I just love the look of it in the first frame there.

For Zuul, I’d rather have him as a plush akin to http://www.kukuburi.com/v2/2008/02/18/sixty/

• Ramón says:

the natural story point it coming soon! i see kukuburi as 3 volumes at 160-200pgs each. that’s just for the initial story too :)

i kinda agree with you on the idea of having the more unique characters as vinyls. it’s a tough game to play. the tillywump image you linked to would be awesome! but that would be a really complex sculpt for the first i think. and when i say complex i allude to expensive!

and zulu as a plushie… already working on it…

28. Finn says:

hazzah!

29. Ooh, with battlewhales, rather than a bugle as a call to battle they can use whale song!

30. chillychili says:

I think Zulu as a plush and Reginald as a vinyl or a light would be the best first offerings. However, I really like the idea of the rock with flower as a (hanging) vinyl.

31. chillychili says:

How about the hat with money for contributers?

32. Chris says:

Rendo and Reggie seem to me to be the best ideas, with of course Nadia infront.

33. Grimsqueaker says:

Just read the whole archive, absolutely brilliant… it feels like a Hayao Miyazaki film, mostly Spirited Away.

34. Eugene says:

As someone who just caught up after reading through the archives: First of all, awesome artwork! It’s totally kickin! All the lines of action are brilliantly sharp. Very stylish. And the story fits it perfectly! Skull dude is my favorite. It’s the pink sunglasses.

Second of all: Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease stop apologizing for lateness! It seems like it’s all I ever see when I glance at your comments beneath each page. I know audience demeanor can sometimes put you in a position where you feel it’s important to justify or defend your update schedule, indeed sometimes justification is completely unavoidable, but remember – constantly reiterating one’s weakness is terrible for one’s self esteem.

Take Gone with the Blastwave. He updates, like, every other leap year, usually with filler teasing the next update. But he doesn’t let it bother him at all! Of course, I also take it for granted that he probably lives in a fan-proof bunker hidden somewhere in the tundra..

35. Alex says:

Sorry Ramon but I’m going to have to take you off my bookmarks page. I’ll be back in a year when there are a couple of updates.

• Ramón says:

sorry to hear that alex.

hopefully you’ll meander back soon as things are about to heat up and i am making efforts to avoid future lapses in updates.

36. Oblivian says:

MOAR!

37. Ben says:

Nice Job on Charles Christopher today!

38. Chester Copperpot says:

@ Ben I agree: I love it when an artist steps outside themself and approaches another’s work. It adds a depth that makes me appreciate the original perspective even more. Dave Kellet (of Sheldon) has done this from time-to-time and I always enjoy it. Keep up the great work, Ramon!