one|seventeen

one|seventeen

happy thursday!

i was torn between having leonard saying “here boy” as opposed to his lackluster “zulu” but i felt the latter a bit more in tune with his personality :)

the chess pieces are moving into place. till next week good people!

1. RockSteady says:

Superb! Visually stunning! Perceptually gripping! It arrests my ocular orbs across a plethora of spectra. Accolades too numerous for me to mention here are worthy of your inbox, dear sir. In short, though not this comic specifically, but the sum of your online works, has convinced me to follow with mind churning through the possible plot twists. Need I mention your work is one of the paragons of developing one’s imagination? Surely more kids and people of all ages should be introduced to your work.

2. Grace says:

I vote for “here boy” :-p
    Recently discovered your work. Truly professional and not a little awe-inspiring. Thanks.

3. It’s actually really nice that Lenny’s getting involved with the search even though he has reservations Nadia’s methods.

The anticipation is building. Reggie, where are you?

I remarked much earlier that I saw this comic in cenematic terms. What we have just experienced is the series of quick cuts prior to the big blow-off action scene. Of course they have been slowed down by the fact that you are showing us each of them as they are made, but when the book comes out, I think these frames will be pure art.

Thank you so much, Ramon, for sharing.

• Ramón says:

thank you odo, i really do try and pace things out in a visual sense.

when i am laying out the story and panels i often imagine the sequences as a visual concerto. i try and make the panel shapes, sizes, and order (ie. from small to large, landscape or vertical and so forth) flow, when the action rises so do the panels like a crescendo in a musical score, followed then by a decrescendo…

i oft approach my storytelling akin to a silent movie and it’s score, with dialogue as a embellishment.

5. Zielak69 says:

haha, that was unpredictable, good move :D

6. raider_geek12 says:

Love It

7. MarcoDC7 says:

RUN AWAY!!! (Monty python Joke)

8. DrMorganes says:

I have to grin every time you use a skull and crossbones in place of swearing.

Excellent strip, as always!

9. Joanna says:

What are the odds of a plush Zulu happening? Because I really want one to go next to my future plush Reggie. I lack the skills, otherwise I’d have made them myself by now. Stupid … fine motor … deficiency …

10. Finn says:

nah, I agree with Leonard simply saying ‘zulu.’. In comparison with Nadia’s ‘ZULU!’ it makes his voice seem nonchalant and sardonic, which the character is. Ramon, if you’re in the process of making Kukuburi merchandising, a Zulu teddybear would be a huge hit i reckon. I know its a big step up from T-Shirts but come on! I want one!

glad you all are enjoying the tale thus far!

a stuffed zulu? now that would be pretty awesome… something to look into. anybody know a good plush toy maker?

12. Kalyandra says:

At least they all seem to be going to the same place.

13. Tigerjuice says:

Wow. Ramon, your imagination and artistry are way out there on the bleeding edge of possibility, and I fricking salute you. I heard that you’re just coming out of a rough patch in your life, and I am telling you it does get better. We don’t know each other, but I can recognize talent and pain both (God knows, I have little talent, but lots of pain… ow!), so please, if I can be of assistance, let me know.

14. Chip says:

I just want my damned hardcover…

Cuz this book is the best thing on the web (or at least tied with Charles Christopher). You continually inspire the crap outta me.

15. bon says:

I agree, a nice hardcover book would be great! But I can see how it might be nice to finish the storyline first.

16. Reidic says:

As always, simply stunning. I always did have a fondness for how you choose to treat expletives in this tale. Just the right combination of whimsy and drunken sailor…

17. Lunaya says:

New convert here! I don’t know what I love more, the story or the art. The whole package is like watching someone’s dream, surreal but beautifully vivid. Instant bookmark. :)

18. J says:

Zulu looks like he’s having an good ole time up there.

I’m a little worried..Did we ever determine if Zulu was a good guy!? I better go back and refresh my memory!

I forgot to say that I agree! A Zulu doll would be great! I’d buy one for my nephew and me!

21. Alison says:

Yay! Kuku’s back! Beautiful pages as always :)
    I hope all is well with you Ramon! I imagine you get this all the time… but it would be lovely to have a print edition some day!
    We’re going to have vol 1 of Bear Nuts time for Fan Expo, but I’m really looking forward to what you eventually publish.

22. Kathleen says:

Although I love every other gorgeously-rendered detail of this great comic, (and seriously, I do.) I’m not digging Mr. Skeleton guy. Is he supposed to be filled with inane cliches? Oh well. I guess in some meta-way it isn’t his fault. That’s the way he was imagined. I guess if you look at it that way, it adds this whole other dimension to the characters. But seriously, Ramon. Tone it down a little, twist it up, or something? He doesn’t seem to have much personality out of his snappy outfits.

23. So when can we expect a book? ;)

I love the ‘D:’ look on Zulu’s face. Poor guy.

24. Ganja says:

this is amazing work and art, but I think I’v lost track of the plot…

25. Psirus says:

Fabulous as always Ramón, if somewhat untimely. But I’m no better, so keep up the good work. I’m looking forward to yesterday’s update!

26. Grace says:

I think a knitted or crocheted Zulu would be perfect!

27. John K says:

I love the skull and crossbones in a word balloon, I always chuckle at that.

28. Pilgrim33 says:

Verrryy nice.
    How did that tenancy thing work out?