one|hundred

one|hundred

a little over a year ago, august 14th to be exact (the first 5 pages are back dated), i began kukuburi with a spark of an idea and a mission to have fun and tell an entertaining story. though i had the basic structure of the story worked out before i laid pencil i sometimes feel like a passenger on a ride being piloted by nadia and crew. they say characters tend to write themselves and these surely have, taking me in directions and adventures i never dreamed of. who knew 100 pages would come so quickly, i feel i need 500 more just to tell the story i want to tell!

i want to thank you all, new readers and old, for the support and especially the understanding when updates became a little sporadic. i hope you’ve all enjoyed the ride thus far and i hope to keep you all glued to the screen as best as i can in the pages to come.

as well, i would like to give a quick thank you to evan yeong who was kind enough to scour the cast pages and correct my horrible horrible grammer.

…and now i must return to this grant thingie that is due in the next few hours.

EDIT:  i would like to extend a thanks to ODO for rectifying my (or would it be nadia’s?) russian transliteration. next order of business is learn russian…

RE/EDIT: and a thank you to tsinik, an honest to goodness russian, for the final tweak on the dialogue!

RE/RE/EDIT: i love this growing community! a final thanks to therius for the last word on the, uhm, word.

we’ll be encountering more of nadia’s baba later in the story, which is when cyrillic will come into play. but for now…

1. AJ says:

YAY!!!!!! Comic 100! congrats!

2. Steve B says:

Whoooo Hoooooooooooooooo! Number 100! I jumped on bandwagon at 26 so this is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Steve B says:

Oh ya…What is she saying in panel one????????????? or someone tell me what language so I can look it up!

4. Kristen says:

100 Pages of Kukuburi! You should be very proud of yourself and the quality of work you produce. Good luck with the grant writing- I’ve seen how fun those can be. I really hope you get. it You work so hard, you deserve it.

5. as363 says:

Congrats on #100 – what a long strange trip it’s been . I hope it never really ends – keep it going .

Luck on the grant proposal – hope it comes through for you – that should take some pressure off .

6. Carl Cravens says:

Dang, Ramon… the story is compelling enough on its own, but your art is so damned beautiful. The style and attention to detail support the story so wonderfully.

I’m so glad you’ve chosen to share with us, and I hope your housing and grant issues go well.

7. Matt says:

Grats on 100!

as to the language – is it Russian? I think Baba is grandmother in Russian and several slavic languages.

8. Bill says:

My guess is, child-speak for, “The Hungry Shadows”.

9. Mykie says:

Nugget.

Greatest. Name. Ever.

I don’t think it’s Russian, or if it is, the transliteration is unusual. The last word should be shah, ah, deh, oh, veh, and that’s not a word, at least in my dictionary. In Russian “the” is always implied rather than stated.

Poor Nugget — he looks worried.

11. Usivius says:

sorry I am going to comment on page 99 here … that silent image of the legs of the giant rock things (nightmares) stalking away … awesome!
    Here, on gloriuos page 100, i love the ‘quick’ slick mark the slug makes to hastily tell Nugget not to listen to her…
    LOL
    love it, Ramon!

12. Tom says:

Yeah congrats on 100 – looking forward to 100 more. Loving the story.

13. CoyoteLovely says:

this. is awesome.

I’m so glad to be back on board with the regular updates (damn my blondeness in not catching that I was *missing!* updates.

::Cheers for the 100th page!::

Wow is right! 100 pages, crazy! I love your story, it’s fascinating. I hope you wont just fade away like some of my favorites in the past.

I kinda think Bill has the right idea, or at least it sounds like a good possibility and I think that “oh, babba” is like “oh CRAP” or “oh, $#@!” or “holy whips and chains Batman!”. That is my guess.

SOOOO, did you get your apt. issue worked out? Are you homeless or is it still up in the air?

15. Watanabex says:

congratulations on issue #100 awesome work as always

16. Karel says:

Congrats on all hundred of them, you’re great at keeping tension in the story without it becoming boring.

You might want to change the url though it’s onehundredone for comic 100, that just doesn’t make sense.

17. nisi says:

no, thank YOU ramon! i am in love with everything about kukuburi. it’s simply fantastic. your imagination & creativity are amazing. congrats on 100!

18. Squiggle says:

All I can say is its been an incredible one hundred pages and I personally only hope that it takes many many more before this story is any where near finished because I just so love to read this comic.

Congratulations Ramon!!

19. Steve W says:

100 pages of awesome. I’m looking forward to the next 100 and can’t wait to see where Nadia’s adventures go.

20. cs3ink says:

No. I thank YOU! Consistently, Kukuburi is one of my two favorite books on the web. You inspire the hell out of me. Even though our books are completely different, you continue to make me push myself harder.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Now: when can I buy this?!

21. Roscoe says:

Congradulations on 100 pages, Ramon.
    You’ve done a fantastic job, and created the most beautiful comic ever seen.
    I look forward to reading more of the story and hope for at least 500 more pages.

22. Congratulations on 100 beautiful pages…may you have many more! :)

23. anickel says:

man this is just amazing!
    Love your art :)

24. aeonsama says:

25. DLHDesign says:

100 pages (and counting) of fun, fantasy and fantastic art. Looking forward to as many more as you (or they) need to tell the story.
    Thanks Ramon (for both this and Butternut, of course!)

26. tsinik says:

the translation and transliteration are both wrong.

if the author meant single entity, then it should read:
    “hungry ghost” – “golognoe prividenie” (голодное привидение)

if there are several of them (as in the picture):
    “hungry ghosts” – “golognye privideniya” (голодные привидения)

and yes, “baba” (babushka) means “grandmother”.

trust me, i’m russian :-P

27. Rowan says:

Ramon, thank you so much for that incredible journey. I must admit, I just found this today, and read it all in one sitting, and boy am I glad I found this!
    Very inspiring, makes me consider putting some of my ideas up..

28. ketsuo says:

WOW 100!!!
    Congratulations dude, so far an AWESOME job , i love the story and how all of these fantastic characters start to appear

29. Ashley says:

I read this from beginning to end, and I AM IN LOVE WITH YOUR WORK! I hope that you will make a book so I can buy it and collect everyone you create. I love the story line, the colors, the characters, EVERYTHING. Your AMAZING!!! Congrats on 100!! I look forward to seeing and reading more of your work.

Ashley

30. Therius says:

A final little tweak in the translitteration: It’s “golodnye”, not “golognye”, with a d instead of a g.

31. Fazh says:

Russian is fun, but why not just use cyrillic to avoid nasty transliterations?

32. tsinik says:

oops… my mistake – mistyped and copypasted it twice :(
    Therius is right – not “golodnye” but “golodnye”, with “d”
    sorry for inconvenience

33. Eric says:

Hey bro! Congrats on your first 100 pages! I hope to reach that mark one day.. Anyways, keep up the phenomenal work man and looking forward to the next 100!

Cheers,

Eric

34. Gerasimus Paul Psomiadis says:

WOOT!

100 Pages!

[does the funkeh dance]

35. Kev says:

Nowadays “popular” comics seem to be just generic and have no purpose at all. Your comic, however, is pure art. I actually love the story and I think that it’s brilliant and original. Please don’t stop working on this comic.

A shout out to Tsinik with thanks for his correction of my poor attempt at translation of Ramon’s original desire. As I mentioned to Ramon, I learned my Russian when I was in my early teens and was just working with a dictionary. I was always weak on making adjective and noun agree.

I think the interaction here is wonderful. As to why Nadia doesn’t speak her line in Cyrillic — well, she’s an American (or maybe Canadian). We don’t speak in Cyrillic.

thanks everyone for the congrats on kuku’s 100th. and thank you all for the help on the russian transliteration… it’s really nice to see this community growing, enjoying and becoming involved in the story!

38. mouse says:

Ramon,

Your world is beautiful. It’s inspiring to see someone create something with so much depth and promise with a few penstrokes. I am deeply enjoying the comic, and wish you all the luck (and time) you need to continue!

39. Efogoto says:

“i feel i need 500 more just to tell the story i want to tell! ”

I hope that’s true. Another 400 pages of this story would be fantastic! 800 would be even better. Thanks Ramon. I like reading it for free, but publish it on paper and I’ll buy a copy. This is great work.

40. CyCo says:

Woo!! Kuku made 100 pages!! And the art/story is awesome as usual. Keep up the great work Ramon!

8]

41. Ethix says:

Wooooot a whole year!

Seriously when i found this comic i was amazed at the… Everything! Seriously man, one of the best comics on the internet!

Please keep goin!

42. Joanna says:

One of my favorite comics ever, and I mean that seriously. There have only been a few over the last six years that have kept my attention the way Kukuburi has, and only one of them looked anywhere near as good. Keep up the good work, and best of luck to you?

Also, just throwing this out there: Have you considered plushies?

43. Squiggle says:

*Points at Joanna* I said that!! I want Kuku plushies sooooo bad!! Especially the green thingumas earlier on (Iv totally got a mind blank and cant think of their names). But also, those cute little three birds with the super long legs and and and… just everything in plushie form would be awesome. >.< Squeeeeee *Is excitable and collects fluffy toys*

Also, I think someone made a great comment just now *checks their name*. As Efogoto said I love reading this comic for free but the day it comes out in a book so that I can buy it and stroke it and love it and give something back to you, Ramon, for being such a damned awesome artist will be the day that I well… buy it… *Nods* So there.

44. Seolyk says:

dont worry ramon, Cyrillic isn’t too hard to learn :D. well… the cursive is… but not the block lettering

45. stacey says:

Ah see, here I shoulda read the comments first – my extremely limited Ukrainian + scrambling through the dictionary was giving me something along the lines of Hungry Visions. Fairly close I suppose.

46. Soraya says:

Oooh, Russian <3. It was the first non-family/native language that I bothered to get off my arse and learn. Cyrillic is extremely easy to learn, but not necessary. It'll make a reader who can't read it go 'eh?' even more.

Baba definitely means 'grandmother / granny' in Russian (in Czech, however, and probably some other languages, it can mean 'a hag' – like Baba Yaga / Ježibaba? – and isn't such a nice word. Of course, I digress… anyway, it can be a bit mean in Russian too, but I guess it depends on the intention and tone of the speaker, and definitely sounds better than babyshka) and definitely not 'oh crap'.

What are the hungry ghosts a reference to? The phrase is familiar, but at the same time…

Anyway, awesome design for them, and I love this story more and more as it progresses.