eighty|eight

eighty|eight

Thank you all for the support and kind words over the last week! it really brought in a ray of sunshine into a dreary few weeks.

as far as my home goes things are still up in the air. the city is coming in to look in on the premises and says i have nothing to worry about. but i’m a bit of humbug when it comes to that sort of thing and adhere to the philosophy of “i’ll believe it when i see it.”

but please, don’t hesitate to keep your fingers crossed :)

on a side note i’ve consolidated my art blog and gallery site into one unified machine. it’s not completely fleshed out, but feel free to peruse it at your leisure. actually there is a post there regarding the SEQUENTIAL ARTS SYMPOSIUM that i will be participating in this saturday – so if you’d like more info on said show meander on over to my very own CRANIAL PERCOLATIONS.

i didn’t have time to update the FAN ART GALLERY today, though i will be doing so for friday so please check back as i will be posting three great new pieces! as well, there might be a few words about lovable ZOMGZ in the cast section…

till friday!

1. Chris says:

I love Reggie.
    The funniest characters are always the ones who say the least.

2. Dlaiyre says:

Wonderful as always;

I’m officially lost, and I love it.

3. Mothra in NYC says:

You seem to have mastered the art of leaving us a cliffhanger with every installment, even if it’s only a couple panels long. Impressive!

May the housing thing resolve itself painlessly. I have no idea what it’s about, but with every such large crisis, it’s important to focus on one detail at a time rather than letting the thought of the whole thing overwhelm you. It’s tough when big problems interfere with your art!

The fan base of course is on your side, because we would find it hard to go without our Kukuburi fix. Also, we rather like you.

Carry on! Go team! Rah!

4. Hatman says:

biiiiiiig whaaaaaaaaaale

GO, REGGIE!!! (Sorry, had to let that out.)

Hmmm. Envoi, or envoy? The concluding stanza of a ballade, or the representative to or from a government or potentate? Both meanings are evocative, but I suspect that she is the envoy of (or from) the laughing bird. But — she has been burned in the realtime? Was that part of the dream real, or something like it? (Only time, and Ramon, will tell.)

Hmmm. Is the “laughing bird” an aspect of *Her*? Probably. Now we see Reggie flying to give Nadia her Key, flying so fast that he leaves behind the “Zub Zub” sound of his passage, and we see the mantas and the battlewhale circling the spire, creating a vortex in the underside of the Inbetween.

(What is it “in between”? We know our world is on one side. What is on the other side?)

Rambling. Good to hear that you are not living on the streets, Ramon.

6. asl says:

I adore your comic. It’s simply magical..

7. Gervasium says:

Odo, you might consider that Reggie speaks a lot of french.

And great comic, I’m loving them.

8. Gervasium says:

I mesnt Rendo, Reggi just beeps.

9. Tom says:

I seem to be lost too, but loving it. I really need this in BOOK FORM (hint hint) so I can take it all in at once. Maybe when the first story arc is complete :)

10. Penned Paper says:

I love love
    LOVE this!

11. Pat Whatley says:

Absolutely amazing.

12. Amy says:

Hurry, Reggie, hurry!

13. Andy says:

I love this comic.

14. Energie o2 says:

Again beautiful “WOOSH” lines!

I also look forward to the book form but I really enjoy all the discussion on the comic with this occurring in Real-time.

Oh haha. The Realtime. Sorry for the pun.

Superb installation as always Ramon, goodluck with your housing!

15. dan says:

I wonder what kind of hat Kukuburi will wear. Headband? Too cheezy. Top hat? Unwieldly. Baseball cap? Maaaybeee…. german ww1 helmet with the little spike on top? Who knows!

16. as363 says:

Amazing as always Ramon . Kudos to the 10th power . Now is you need say Guido -he of no neck and the baseball bat to visit your landlord – I’m just saying maybe .( :>))

Loved your cast posting – I check it several times a week just to see if I’m lucky enough to find a new one . But with the strip and your other problems – I’ll wait as long as it takes to see another one . Keep us guessing on the story line – but I’m glas to see “Ranger” Reggie rushing to the rescue .

17. A.C. says:

Glad to hear things are moving forwards in a positive direction (regarding your place), and as for the strip intruiging as ever. Very envious of your layout skills by the way, you do the whole ‘big scene’ thing with amazing style. ;)

18. Steve B says:

This comic is sooooo cool…..I Love This Comic

19. John Christ says:

Good luck man, hope it all works out for you.

And lovign the direction Kukuburi is going too, btw.

This is great Ramon! I love it. I can’t wait to see her hat!

Odo finally gets to see Reggie! :)

21. Sam says:

I am just in awe of everything that is happening in the comic !!!

22. Marcelo says:

what IS kukuburi!?!?!

23. Pants says:

Holy Crap! That is AMAZING! Well worth the wait!

24. eric from abeno says:

realisticly, her hat could be any number of styles, and as long as care is taken in the design, it’ll “fit” her character whatever it might happen to be. I’ve seen girl characters in tophat, helmets, berets, all manner of things, and no matter how outlandish they are, you get used to seeing them on the character almost immediately…. so I’m wondering if the hats “say something” about the people who wear them…. what does it mean that Rendo wears a bowler? Or maybe the style of hat offers a special “bonus” to the wearer? Reggie wears a flight cap, and that suits him, but does it also make him fly at those super-speeds?? I’m guessing that maybe if it’s not a particular symbol or “gift giving” thing, then the hat that would “suit” her current style is some kind of wool-knit or soft cloth/leather thing, possibly with a tiny sun visor. but that’s just my mental image. Heck it could be a tiara or some kind of crown. it’s just hard to imagine that.

25. Annelidia says:

I wonder if he looks at our guesses and purposefully sculpts some things to defy them…

26. eric from abeno says:

Annelidia, Ramon seems pretty dedicated to his vision. I mean, I think he’s got a LOT of this story planned out, down to character and costurme designs, and I doubt that even a “good guess” by one of us would be catalyst to make him change any of his designs, certainly not to “spite” us.

He genuinely seems happy when we make comments that show we’re actually following along with his story, in fact he’s said things that make me think it’s not REALLY his intention to make the events of the story so enigmatic. The problem he faces is that, if he really wants us to know exactly what’s going on, that kind of knowledge requires “expositional dialogue” which is what authors use to give their audience specific inside information. However it’s often a very “stiff” device… it doesn’t always sound natural.

So he’s got to balance exposition with good story-telling. Real people just don’t go around saying “Ah yes, now that I’ve used the key that I found hidden in the skull on the deserted island, I can open the magical door to the world of…” blah blah. Instead, Ramon has to make conversations and actions as natural as possible, which means several plot points are NOT going to become obvious to us until we see more of the story-world.

(-_-) I talk WAY too much. (-_-) Sorry…

27. luke racin says:

..man… you ROCK!!!!!

I’ve been a fan since the start of this project… briliant job!!

28. Vitae says:

Absolutely phenomenal. Been following it since week one, and I’ve loved every second of it. My only wish is that there was more!

29. bird says:

first of all, I love the color shift from the previous entry. It went from predominately hot colors, lots of orange and vibrant reds and now it’s this soothing blue and purple. It’s gorgeous composition. Oh, and I love the land of crunchy things because that’s exactly how it seemed.

30. katie says:

I also feel like this would make an amazing… cartoon.

31. Jennifer says:

Dude, you’re going to make me into a… fangirl. I’m going to start making Kukuburi t-shirts and handing out flyers, or maybe just squeal excessively every time you update.

I hope things work out with your apartment!

32. eric from abeno says:

katie, it would make a great cartoon, but keep in mind how much effort is required for something like that. Lets say Ramon has one story arc completely planned out in his head, or story-boarded, whatever. As a comic, he can release 2 beautiful page layouts per week, which we his fans are all drooling for, but are at the same time, very patient about. At page 88, we’re about 44 WEEKS into Kukuburi, and we’re still “exploring” the world. In animation terms, we’d be somewhere between halfway through episode 1 and maybe the beginning of episode 2, depending on the pacing. Imagine that. Imagine that about 50 comic pages equals about 1 or 2 cartoon episodes. Ramon can pitch his idea to an animation studio, or make his own studio, or whatever, and if his first story arc is equivalent to about 1000 pages, he’d have about 20 – 40 weeks, or one or two season’s worth of cartoon(again, depending on the pacing of the show). OR 10 years worth of webcomic…. Don’t get me wrong, I also feel this would make one hell of a cartoon, but I don’t think he’s going to make that kind of trade-off, time-wise, without some HUGE financial incentive… and maybe not even then, if his priorities with this comic are not monetary. There’s no arguing that it’s one hell of a comic, and he’s one hell of an artist, though. I’m sure we’d ALL love “Kukuburi, The Animation”. ^_^

33. Steve says:

Fingers are securely crossed. The updates look great, and as the story unfolds it seems like it shifting towards more of an adventure tale with the hero discovering her powers at some point, very much Like Matt Wagner’s MAGE. Or I’m just reading way too deeply into the new posts. Either way the Story and art keep me coming back for more each time.

34. DoodLeBop says:

Go Reggie GO! get that hat to her post haste.

35. Mart says:

Can I be Kukuburi?

36. terri says:

This is so beautiful. A friend of mine turned me onto it and I find it absolutely stunning. I am so addicted!

37. Megan says:

More wonderful “woosh”es. Love the clouds. Keep it up Ramon, and good luck on the home front. :)

38. Seolyk says:

Great job again Ramon! Glad to see you’re back into it again. Also glad to see the title of the comic (partially) explained. Can’t wait to see more :D

39. Pangolin says:

Hurrah! More of the wonderful Reggie!

40. Atrian says:

After the third time of reading this archive, it just hit me that the package is most probably a hat.

And I was about to post about it excitedly until I realized that most of the commenters are already aware of this. >.<