not in the right headspace

first the bad news:

there’s going to be no new comic this week and maybe next week as well.

now the good news:

it looks like it’s rendo week at kukuburi! not only have i added a few words about our favourite quatropus to the CAST PAGE but last week i received a wonderful email containing a 3d modelling of rendo by australian artist tim streets! i’ve posted the piece to the FAN ART GALLERY with links to more images and a video (!) turnaround of rendo as well!

as i write this update i just received an awesome rendition of nadia entering the inbetween by michael maglio! though i’m going to save that one for next week :)

i can’t tell you how awesome it feels to receive these great pieces of art in my inbox. it’s like christmas!

and now the why:

just shy of 10 years ago i moved into the loft i live in now. when i moved in no one told me the building was zoned commercial. so technically i couldn’t live there. though i quickly found out, along with the 60 other tenants, when the city started posting eviction notices on our doors. the landlord appealed to us to fight with him and get the building rezoned for what they call live/work, an r4 zoning here in toronto. it took two appeals to the city committee but the minor variance was approved. we were now to be protected under the residential tenancies act.

or so i thought.

10 years and not a peep.

last month a received a new lease taped to my door. i’ve been leaseless for the 10 years i’ve been here. the lease was a commercial lease stating that i must be operating a business on the premises and not residing within them. well i knew this was wrong so i approached the superintendent.  he told me this was a way the landlord was getting around tenants whose rent was in arrears as it is quite easy to evict someone under a commercial lease, even easier if they are living on the premises which the lease states they cannot live upon.

he told me this wouldn’t apply to me since i am a good tenant and always pay my rent.

i laughed and said i’m not going to take your word over a signed piece of paper. i sign that lease and i’m putting the noose around my neck and just waiting for the landlord to push!

so i refused to sign.

and now they are trying to terminate my tenancy at the end of this month since i am unwilling to sign their lease.

so i’m fighting.

but it’s taking a lot of my time and killing my creative headspace. i’ve tried to sit and work on kukuburi but my heart is just not in it as i fight to maintain my home. i don’t want to produce pages in a half-hearted way just to fill up the webspace. if i’m going to do it i want to do it right.

so for the next few weeks, depending on how things go, i will not be producing new pages. i will however produce new cast pages which add some insight into the world of kukuburi and post new gallery art from you the readers. i know it’s not the same, but it’s the best i can offer due to my current circumstances.

my apologies.

i’ll keep you all posted on how things are going.

till next week my friends.

1. Jennifer says:

Dude, that blows dogs for quarters, pardon the expression. I wish you the best of luck with all this mess, and if there’s anything we can do let us know.

2. CoyoteLovely says:

Yeah, Todd – I was thinking the same thing you were when I first read (not a landlord/lawyer or anything like that) but I’ve sure lived in enough rentals… I think the rules in the USA are a bit different cause I have been screwed A LOT by landlords and companies and stuff, just because the USA Law seems to be more bent in their direction. (At least in Florida… not sure if it changes State to State. I’m writing from Mouse Land)

It’s my impression, and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, that Canadian Law is more favorable to individuals. Of course, it’s my impression that their health care system, and quite a few other things are more favorable to individuals… so I dunno – I could be off my rocker.

Oh yeah! And Happy Birthday Ramon!

3. Vlan2k says:

Good luck and happy birthday, Ramon! Landlords SUCK… with a few notable exceptions. A happy head-space takes precedence over our entertainment. We’ll await with baited breath the next installment in the series!!

4. ChaosNebula says:

You rock Ramon. See how many of us Interweb lurkers come out of the woodwork to tell you that? Your work is beautiful, and once this annoying “real world” crap goes away, the story will continue. Thank you for being humble enough to worry that we’d be mad at you for putting this on hold while you sort things. Just keep us posted if you will, & let us know what we can do to help!

Oh, & happy unbirthday! I’m never on time for the non-unbirthdays! *^_^*

5. Peter says:

Good luck with the fight, look forward to new pages when you get your other stuff taken care of. Taking care of your home is more important than updates – will stick around until you get things in order. (Besides RSS makes it really easy to keep track)

6. A.C. says:

Good luck man, I’m really sorry it’s gone to that extent but you’re doing the right thing in fighting it. Don’t worry about the comic, we’ll all be here patiently wating when you’ve finished the fight (and hopefully emerge victorious). ;)

7. Andrew O. says:

Artists gotta Live Somewhere!
    Go gettem Ramon!

Your consistent Story-Ideas and Art KukuAwesomeness more than overloads any pet peeves others might have about you actually having to live somewhere and fight for that right

8. John Christ says:

Good luck man!
    Fight the good fight, appeal to a higher court, and fi that doesn’t work… MOON ‘EM!

9. Pibb says:

Fuck ‘the man’.

Kukuburi is always worth the wait :D

10. Webb Sussman says:

Ramon,

Although I cannot directly help you with the landlord problem (although I’ve been there too and it SUCKS ROCKS!), I can wish you a belated happy birthday and remind you that everything comes to those who wait. You’ll find a better housing situation (with or without this particular landlord) and we’ll see Kuku in due time.

All the best,

Webb

11. Annalia says:

I like John Christ’s suggestion. If all goes to hell, you can always moon ‘em! ;)

Also seriously amazed at the number of folks who’re sending you good wishes, but then again, Kuku is that awesome!

*bleep*
    I was off at a conference and come back, not to Kuku, but to horrid news. I turn my back… Anyway, happy birthday and good luck with your residence. I’ve skimmed the comments and it sounds like you’re getting a lot of good advice from people, some of whom know what they are talking about.

Even I, impatient though I am, will wait until your head is back in Kuku space.

— Odo

13. Philip says:

Do what you’ve got to do, and I’ll just add my name to the “Anxiously awaiting news and more Kuku” list. Hope all goes well.

14. Puzuma says:

Is there anything we, the readers, can do to help? TP the landlords house/car? Leave flaming bags of poo on his door step? Or perhaps some form of legitimate help?

15. Jimbo says:

Go for it, Ramon!
    You’ve got the Welsh contingent of Kuku fans on your side, mon ami, show ‘em who’s boss! (i.e. you.)
    Good luck, you talented old chap, you!

16. Jack Satelite says:

Damn! that’s a very bad situation
    those evil landlords
    mucha suerte!

17. alan says:

You will be in my prayers. good luck and God Bless

18. The Good Sir Wi11i4m j4m3s says:

Fight the Power

19. Lisa H says:

We will all be here when you are ready and able to continue. Just a thought, as a writer/cartoonist do you not actually DO work at home? Perhaps that would be a helpful angle? Much love and hope your birthday was happy.

20. Jess(ica) says:

Good luck Ramon, seriously, that’s a hard situation and we hope the best for you.

Also.

Don’t let the man bring you down brother!

21. Lee says:

like the dude way above says, (the landlord who left a comment…not a higher power!) talk to this landlord and see what happens

do what ya got to do and dont worry, we’ll all still be here :)

22. Jess says:

Damn, that’s a hard knock. Best of luck to you- we know you’ll give ‘em hell! Don’t worry about us (your devoted, rabid readers) – we appreciate that you’d think of us, but focus on taking care of yourself for now!!! *huggs* However long it takes – we’ll still be here when you’re ready and able to return.

23. Mad Mod says:

Good luck and best wishes.Love your Work.

24. Nerd Mom says:

Good luck with your battles! In terms of kuku: Good things come to those wait. :)

“CRIKEY” ….. see what I miss, I went hinking off into the wilderness for a week and all goes to hell. Kidding. Gee Ramon, I hope all is well now! Not a good way to spend your birthday fellow gemini! [my birthday is the 11th] Hope all in all you had a good celebration!

Keep on truckin’

26. SonicASUK says:

Dude, just found your comic and read all thats been done so far, i must say great stuff keep up the good work thank you for creating something a lil different :)
    Good luck with the landlord and hope we see more from you soon!

Take it easy
    Regards
    sonic

27. Doomguy says:

Hire a gang of angry hobo’s and arm them with buckets of rotting fish.
    Surely, the army of a GOD

28. DT Butchino says:

Kick him in the junk, Ramon! ;)

Seriously though, I would also talk to him and find out WTF he was thinking :)

29. Kyle Voltti says:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

which means, as Rodney Dangerfield so eloquently put it, Don’t take shit from anybody!

30. Chip says:

Nothing to apologize for. You tend to the important stuff. We’ll patiently await the return of your great work.

31. fount says:

Happy Belated Ramón! Is it wrong to pray for Ghrungs to show up to eat your landlord? I don’t think so…

Big Zen Hug
    fount

32. Skyler L. says:

Give ‘em heck, Ramon!

33. steve says:

good luck ramon

34. Tangerine Jones says:

Happy Birthday all late!

As for the loft drama, I will only say I’ve so been there. I hate gentrification and the shade it perpetuates. I won’t tell you what my experience was like since you’re canadian and it prolly will turn out different. I will , however, buy your ass a good stiff drink next time you’re in NYC.

Good luck!

35. Andrew Price says:

Ramon,

Best of luck brother!

36. ben (nz) says:

Ramon,
    I think you are right not to sign that lease. It would definitely come back to bite you sooner or later, and you would be living under that sword of Damocles in the meantime. If you are indeed a good payer of rent, your landlord should have had no worries offering you at least a proper residential lease. Very shady, as you say.

As for the comics, better to have one quality panel, or nothing at all, or even an abrupt end, than half a dozen story-tainting space-fillers. If I wanted space fillers, I’d watch television.

gambatte kudasai!

37. SwaggeringPaganLoveGod says:

Give’m hell! I’m currently embroiled in almost the same debacle, only located here in Portland Oregon.
    Hit’m with sticks and light’m on fire!

38. RomeoGunn says:

Wow Ramon, your life seems to parallel mine a lot right now. I live in Sudbury and my old landlord just slapped me with a $7000 lawsuit. Before we were forced to move out (they were tearing down the building and changing it to a commercial area) we had to take him to court over money that he owed us, so a week or two ago we get the cheques, but as soon as they’re handed to us we’re slapped with papers stating we did $7000 of damage to the building. We never did any damages and this is the building that they’re tearing down! So I understand how these landlord things can be a huge pain. I’m just hoping it goes well for you and hoping it doesn’t get you too down. Best wishes from up north and I know that soon enough this will all be behind you.

39. alan says:

Hey Ramon great web comic. I know your busy trying to protect your nest but would it be possible to get the two head dragon-thingy as a wallpaper. thanks in advance