eighty|six

eighty|six

i feel i may have gone a bit melodramatic with this sequence. but my life seems to have taken a unexpected twist this past friday. my landlord seems to have this idea where he wants to “evict” me for lack of a better term. so depending on how things go, the kukuburi schedule might get a bit rocky over the next little bit. keep your fingers crossed, wish me luck, and let’s hope i can stay in the same apartment. cause, well, i like the place and despite this little hiccup it’s been nice living there…

my melodrama aside. some of you may notice the change of font for our little friend riding atop our friendly neighbourhood boulder. the reasons for this are twofold. one) i had already used said font for corky (the orange two headed fellow) and two) i never really liked it for our little mollusk. so the previous pages (75-78) have been changed – and while i was there i also tweaked the dialogue, cause i (once again) never quite liked it. felt a bit off.

as well, this week sees the addition of a new piece to the fan gallery by the talented thea.

something a little nifty happened last month as well. i, along with my cohort in crime rob coughler, were nominated for a shuster award for outstanding canadian webcomic creator / creative team for butternutsquash and kukuburi. go figure ;)

wish us luck!

the awards will be presented in toronto at the sequential arts symposium on june 14th.

man, i’ve babbled on quite a bit.

till next week!

1. Bezman says:

*Cashing in on awesome points* ding ding ding! 8)

2. Omnicrola says:

Congrats on the award man! You guys deserve it!

3. Megan says:

Wow, I’m really sorry to hear about your living situation. I really hope it gets resolved soon and without too much trouble. I’m hoping for the best for you, Ramon.

I must say, I love the colors in the last panel.

4. Markus says:

Firstly, the story just keeps getting better and better, the artwork is fantastic. Good luck with the award :) As for the living situation, have a look over here: http://www.ontariotenants.ca/ Might give you some info on what your landlord can and cannot do to you (oo-er!)

5. karl says:

Your landlord is clearly a pawn in the universe’s plan for you to move to Montreal. ;)

heh, oh karl, don’t think that thought never crossed my mind!

hrm,

noticed the text has strangely shifted up. have to fix that tomorrow.

as well ,thanks for the congrats, the information and the good thoughts. you’re all awesome.

r.

7. Steve B says:

SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Em says:

No moving to Montreal! Then I won’t have occasional Ramon sightings on College Street, and that would be sad.

Good luck with the landlord, and congrats on the Shuster nomination!

i think boulder guy doesn’t talk much at all. I love the last panel too.

Sorry for your trouble Ramon, hope all is well soon!

Yummy –
    Totally did not expect the snail. (Not sure I like some of the changes you made in the snail’s monologue, but it does feel more consistent now.)

Burning… The question is, is the dragon going to be present, or was the dragon (in her drawing) just a symbol for burning? Luckily Boulder Boy can levitate.

Hmmm. BB caught her and carried her to the house. That still leaves open the question of how the house was created. I’m still pulling for the theory that Nadia has power over the physical substance of the Inbetween, albeit unconscious. That would explain her lack of memory earlier. The stress of creation knocked it out of her mind until the effects of the frooms and the touch of BB brought it back. ((Hmmm… ‘Arms remember what minds forget,’ was a key line in Zenna Henderson’s *Pilgrimage*. Is it a reference, or just synchronicity?))

11. Matt says:

Hey – good luck on the housing situation, take time off if ya have to. I’d reccomend consulting a lawyer – i know in the US most places can not evict for 90 days. And if landlord is changing rules mid contract thats a breah – so i reccomend a lawyer – they’re like a good sword, cut both ways.

12. eric from abeno says:

it’s kind of a odd echoing between art and reality the he drew nadia’s room being eaten and shortly afterward his own room is in jeopardy…

i understand what odo says about the new dialogue; it pulls some ideas together better than before, but it changes my image of the snail, too, making him somewhat less likeable. still, i now have a better idea about what the frooms actually do, and why there’s a fire around them now.

the realm that she’s wandering through now seems to feed on imagination, and especially seems to crave people’s negative imaginings/nightmares.

Where Nadia may have the power to create or make real the good things she imagines, this part of the world feeds on the negative and/or make it real.

odo,

i’ll be honest. i’m still not a 100% on the dialogue either. the snail is a bit of a loudmouth and a tad belligerent. i’ll eventually peg what i hear in my head, it’s almost like cartman meets shaft!

he’s a good snail at mollusky heart, just rough around the edges.

as for the hands reference, i’m unfamiliar with zenna henderson’s work, but the line you quoted is akin to what i was thinking. i find the other senses sometimes have much stronger link to memories.

eric,

you’re pretty bang on with your comments. i sometimes wonder if i’m being to obscure in my hints and allusions…

14. CoyoteLovely says:

The Obscurity is nice though. I don’t know. I feel like we’re all kind of hanging out in that world, waiting to see what happens, and helping to put our little effects on it – since it’s ever changing with our comments, or with time…

I don’t know – is that silly?

Ramon – good luck with your landlord. Is it like a money thing, or is he being a jerk?

i’ve been a good upstanding tenant for a very long time.

he’s being a jerk.

a BIG jerk.

Ramon –
    I’ll echo CoyoteLovely; the obscurity is nice. The world you are showing us is big enough to hang out in and look around and speculate on. The “obscurity” may just be a way of saying that the world is “complex”. I see one thing, Coyote sees another and Eric discovers a third, and they’re all really obvious — once someone has discovered them.
    There is a thrill of discovery in peeling the layers off the work, if only in discovering that the work has layers. It is one of the reasons that I am a scientist in real life. I like picking at the layers and peeling them up.
    *sigh* a whole ‘nother week. Is there going to be a cast page this week?

And what about Reggie?

17. Sam says:

layers like an onion .. you know there like ogre, onions that is!!

I never would have suspected a molluscan class Gastropoda on top of his head like that, could his shell count as a HAT?

18. sunshinegetsmehigh says:

I don’t think ALL good guys have to wear hats, at least that’s my understading.

…and I hate being picky, but about the snail, I’m having a hard time picking up on his accent, or rather just the way he’s supposed to sound.

Sorry. Other than that Ramon everything is as usual….. B-E-A-UTIFUL!

19. mo says:

Been a fan for quite a while– both Kukuburi and Butternutsquash. Really great stuff! Layout is smooth and characters are creative and thought-out. Thanks so much for drawing. I hope you don’t get evicted (mainly so you can continue drawing without interruption, but this reasoning is rather selfish on my part, yeah?).

Best of luck to you!

20. Crista says:

Way to go on the award! Noboby deserves it more than you guys! What’s up with the landlord? Doesn’t he realize he has a artistic genius in his midst?

21. A.C. says:

Best of luck with your place, as someone who recently had to move because my previous landlady couldn’t decide whether she wanted to sell the flat or not, I know all to well what it’s like. Here’s hoping it resolves itself without you having to move!!! ;)

By the way, I wasn’t expecting the voice to be coming from ‘that’, very cool. :)

22. Tek Rubio says:

Hey, wish you luck with the landlord, and specially luck with te awar u guys trully desserve it. I read the whole kukuburi, its the next thing from awesome, big fan here.

23. Thomas says:

Hi, I have been reading Butternutsquash for awhile and just found the link to this amazing comic. I must say it is one of the most interesting and thought provoking pieces of art i have seen for awhile. Good luck with the jerk of a landlord and please keep up with this amazing piece of work

24. CoyoteLovely says:

Ramon – you just let us know if you need a huge pile of angry fans to protest his jerkyness!

25. Lisa H says:

I will be thinking of your plight and thanking my lucky stars the only thing I argue with my land lord about is turning the heat up another degree or two (I’m the basement tenent). I’m on the same page as sunshinegetsmehigh. I thought he “sounded” sort of rough Scottish before but know I’m having trouble making a voice for the snail guy in my head. I know it will come to you! Stunning work as always.

26. J says:

Hey Ramon, I just found Kukuburi today and it’s blown my mind! The story is gripping and the art is just ridiculously amazing. Such inspiration! I’m really hoping I’ll get a chance to do some fan art in the near future!

J

27. Lee says:

Ramon, heck, I’m all caught now with this amazing web comic you have written and drawn! Along with BNS and this and other webcomics I do enjoy loggin onto the web when finishin a long day at work!

hope the landlord gets sorted soon, know what its like to have annoying idiot of a landlord…mine is trying to sell the house I live in and its a little bit distracting to say the least….

28. Stephanie N. says:

The cast page for Rendo is “Not Found”? :(

29. yex says:

I hope Kuku’s back soon! Sorry to hear about the cruddy landlord situation. =/

Also, I’ve put a link to you on my website! =D Do you have any banners available?

30. Graceofbass says:

I think I imagine the Snail’s voice to sound like the caterpillar/worm from Labyrinth, but with a little more edge to it, kinda like a seea captain.

We’re all pulling for you Ramon, good luck with your landlord!

31. Bartimaeus says:

Good luck!

32. Emma says:

Wait, Ramon’s Canadian?

33. Cory Kerr says:

Rad. You can’t go wrong with talking snails. Love this thing man. Way cool.