sixty

sixty

greetings all.

it’s been a bit of a draining weekend. i wrapped up the pencils and inks on jsa: classifieds #56, had my friend evan stay the weekend with me on a mini-holiday from new york and, to my displeasure, finally get that cold virus that was circulating the studio that i share with 5 other blokes. i was the last to succumb.

so kukuburi got the shaft on time. unfortunately.

this page is but the first of three, the remaining two which i will post tomorrow afternoon. but for now i have to crash and get better.

my apologies.

till tomorrow…

Hmmm… I have a strong suspicion that this is *not* an “it was all a dream” resolution. Just saying. It might be very interesting to be able to look out the window.

Love the details. The “slug family”, the stuffed skull-faced doll, the Dizzy Gillespie album on the floor. It makes me smile.
    – Odo.

2. Lindsay says:

whhaaAA?

3. Fantastic! What it seems or not, this is surprising and lovely.

Also, I would like to order Nadia’s purple socks (along with a Kukuburi book, film, and video game).

…Kukuburi: the Flame Thrower! Kukuburi: the Toilet Paper!

Hmmm…. so many thoughts on what’s happening now…. could it be like in Labrynth where she thought she was in her room, everything was there, but really she was in a dump….. OR could this have been a dream world she was in and falling made her wake up!? … eeep!?

Hope you feel better Ramon. This update was great even if only one page for now, leaves a lot to the imagination!

5. Kris says:

I think the whole Kukuburi world is all in Nadia’s head, and she’s actually died. This is just to make us think she’s still alive.

6. Hevaess says:

O.o XDD Bwuahahaha She’s like Jason Voorhees! She will be knocked down only to rise again!!

I was expecting some form of creature to catch her, but this was a delightful surprise that I was not expecting! (hence it being a surprise)

7. I think getting back is a lot harder the second time, if there is a second time of course…

But it would make for a bad story if she couldn’t go back…

I guess we’ll have to wait for the update….

I like using “…”

8. Bantiarna says:

Get better soon!! I hate it when people are sick. :(

9. Zigurana says:

I like the barbapapa-family on the shelve, would love to see that series again.

I forgot, Keep Up the Good Work!, and get well soon!

10. jon says:

false awakening?

11. Gerasimus Paul Psomiadis says:

Is it just me who thinks Nadia is hot, Hot, HOT!

Oh, err…yes, her face is pretty too…[lifts eyes upward]

LOL!

12. David Frier says:

FYI the RSS feed is not updating, I felt it had been to long and so came to the site to see if there was a new panel, sure enough there was. My reader (Google) still has fifty-nine as the most recent.

13. Edd says:

A late update that’s short…

And I still love it :D Keep ‘em coming, you sir, are a genius.

14. Sebas says:

Ooh excitement of a ‘WTH?’ kind of nature!

By the way – are those… Barbapappa’s?!

15. Lee Cherolis says:

My favorite parts: the rolled up bamboo blinds and the reflections on her closet mirror. The perspective is brilliant, it curves a little instead of being completely hard edged and square. I love it.

If it were a dream world, you’d see more of the dreamworld creatures in her room as toys or stuffed animals or something. They wouldn’t be exactly the same in the real world but she’d have some sort of subconscious catalyst for inventing everything later. There’s a distinct lack of recognizable characters, so I’m hopeful the other world is real, she just lost her connection to it.

16. yachris says:

Love the boots :-)

17. Rhiannon says:

Argh, I really want to know what happens next now. I don’t think it as all a dream or she died because Mister Bojangles isn’t in the frame, but that could be because he literally isn’t in the frame.

*whimper* I want to know.

18. Wissende says:

The weird ET-looking doll thing is … new?
    It’s not in panel one…
    I like elipses too….
    They can be plenty of fun!

19. Jane says:

Something tells me the artist and the creation are doing the exact same thing right now :p

20. Steve says:

I’m not even going to hazard a guess as to how she got back to her room. I found myself studying the drawing looking for anything that could be considered a clue as to what happened other than a fully dressed Nadia is passed out on her bed. I did notice that Mr. Bojangles tank is empty. I wait patiently to see what is coming next. I love the skeleton stuffed animal thing.

21. Chenoa says:

Oh my – are those the Baba-Papas on her shelf???? Ahhhhh!! *knocked down by childhood nostalgia on full-steam*
    :D

On another note – feel better sooner!

22. Chenoa says:

Sebas – you too???
    And thank you for the spelling! BaRbapapas! They do look like them, don’t they?

23. Grigmott says:

Feel better, sir. I have to say, I’ve been frustrated by the somewhat sporadic updates, but that frustration only manifests because your work is so very enjoyable. This shiz’s top notch, mo-fo! So rest, get your strength back, and hit this sucka at full steam. I look forward to it.

Healthy thoughts.

24. Trav says:

I just recently read through this comic…and I have two lizards on my desk and I get funny feelings when they look at me now…
    I also want a Battle Whale. Do they come in black?
    Good stuff keep it coming!

25. CoyoteLovely says:

Oh feel better Ramon! I feel like an idiot for just gushing over your work on every page, but here I am again with the gushage.

26. mike pomery says:

are the slug family barba papas? (I think they were french things, kind of like schmoos)

27. Dev says:

Hmmm… the chameleon is definitely missing, so whatever was going on with realities, it wasn’t simply a dream inside her head..right?
    This is so much fun — thank you Ramon!

28. Graceofbass says:

Oh holy crap! I totally remember having the Barbapapa’s Ark book! That is so nostalgic and random. Again, I love this comic. I totally can’t get enough of it. Hope you feel better Ramon!

29. Sam says:

I like where this is going.

and I hope you get better real soon Ramon!!

30. androo says:

orange pillow = battle whale?
    purple sock = purple giraffe?
    red skeleton doll thing?

dreams can be influenced by the slightest things even if we’re not aware of them. probably grasping at straws, but there’s definitely a similarity between nadia’s room and that other world.

31. stacey says:

One page, but there’s certainly enough “bwuuh?” here to last till tomorrow.

32. Pan says:

Yup, shoes and goggles still on, fast asleep, must’ve been a Heck of a party ;).
    Or could it be? Aeon Flux – Death By Gravity :D , I really wonder, whats next…

Get well soon, Ramón!

33. laurajs says:

i actually thought i was on page 1 then

O_O more!

34. Hope says:

I can’t stop oogling all the creases in her pants and sheets. 000:

35. Matt says:

I actually have BarbaMama on my shelf!!

36. EllieP says:

I’m so blown away by the details in your art!! First found this website about three years ago, then lost track – and now rediscovered it! With 179 fantastic shots in total – I am sooooo looking forward to discovering these!

Firsttime post – just wanted to comment that Mr. Bojangles is definitely missing – and LOVED the drumsticks :oD

Kudos to you, Mr. Ramón!

37. ehrgeiz0 says:

Is that Barbapapa and family on the shelf by the window?