fifty|six

fifty|six

i had this strange dream where some story elements became a little clearer. so i decided to add another page into the sequence, which brings the tally to four pages, which means i need to split the update into two, which in turn gives me a week off to recuperate from my crazy schedule.  i envisioned this sequence as one update, but what’re you gonna do…

so you’re probably askin’ so why tell us this? well this means it bumps next weeks originally planned update revealing what happend to nadia, by a week :D

i feel the love.

now, back to work for me!

1. Gryphyn says:

This is a wonderful comic. Keep up the good work!

2. brass says:

You tease! But I guess that as long as you keep placating us with a well-developed and well-drawn story, I can’t complain too much :).

3. Chris says:

I still love you. just.

IT’S NOT SO BAD…..it’s worth the wait….

I like this page, even though we don’t see what has become of our beloved Nadia. Instead we learn a little bit more about her and we see our battle whale is getting closer.

I’d expect, that we’ll be seeing Nadia next on the battle whale or dangling from a rock getting helped on to the ship.

5. nashoba says:

Whoa, I can identify the individual bones falling in front of the whale.
    I am drooling in anticipation…
    ” tuesday tuesday tuesday.”

6. cs3ink says:

Gads, but you make me ill. Luscious stuff!

7. Rachel says:

I’m happy to have an update at all times!

8. Nikita says:

Evil!! :) Can’t wait to see more!!

9. Tika says:

The Bluebird of Happiness makes me think of that song… Though methinks that’s the point. Regardless, I now have ‘a bluebird on my shoulder’ and then mind-mumbling, as I can’t remember the rest of the song, stuck in my head. Silly ear worm.

I love what I’m seeing so far, and I don’t mind waiting to see what happened to our fearless heroine.

FOR NOW! -knuckle pops-

10. Archivist says:

Interesting how skeleton man is known as “Him,”
    and Nadia is known to “Him” as “Her.”

Ramon –
    I love the framing of the shots, the shoe view and then the close-up of the falling bones which is in turn the extreme close-up of the battlewhale’s eye.

Archivist — I don’t think Nadia is “Her”. I think “Her” is a contra-posing force to Mr. Skull (Him), who has been absent from His (Hers? Who created it?) small universe for some time. That Nadia created (with her hit/bang) one of “Her envoys” introduces the possibility that Nadia is either an avatar of Her, or more likely that Nadia is an unwitting herald of Her return. (I.e. Nadia cheated and got in the hit/bang, but it was She (Her) who determined the form of it.) Marvelous ambiguity and expansion of possibility.

Hmmm. The fact that the battlewhale is passing the falling Bluebird shards implies to me that in fact “down” was reversed (eventually) upon passing through the hole in the ground, and that the ground is the direction of “down” no matter what side you are on.

But why does the appearance of Her envoy create a quandry for Mr. Skull? What choice or action is it that he has to make that has been suddenly made more difficult or problematic? (Tune in on Tuesday to get more hints…)

–Odo

Hey Ramon, I was curiously looking around your site here, and when I clicked “subscribe” I got a bunch of HTML garble that I didn’t think was supposed to be there. Just thought I’d let you know!

13. Casey says:

I have to say, this is one of the few webcomics I don’t mind waiting for. The 2 frames a week we do get are better than hour segments of crappy TV shows we get weekly, and we get to oogle the pretty artwork whenever we want!

Keep it up.

14. Jane says:

I’m digging Mr Bone’s footwear. Snazzy.

15. Skelly says:

As long as we get new pages, delay, extend, do whatever you need to :-) I like them being spread out over a couple of days instead of a double page update on one day – it gives me more to look forward to.

16. yachris says:

Hey Ramón,

Speaking as a veteran of too many webcomics artist’s apologies :-( I think your idea of keeping some of “this week’s” story for next week, so we get an update each week, is a great idea. We get our fix, you get your week off :-) we both get the benefit of less whining. On both sides.

And, as always, great art!

17. CoyoteLovely says:

I think I agree with Odo – I’m not sure Nadia is “her” though I might add the adendum of “not yet, anyway.” If I’m remembering correctly, Nadia’s predecessor was a man, and I don’t know, it feels like there’s something longer, something more foltold at work here. But then, maybe I’m reading too far into it for now.

This is such a fun story! I like thinking about it, and I really think the artwork is beautiful. Keep wowing us Ramon!

18. ..::beep::.. says:

sweetness….

19. Sabine says:

NO!! Bones in BattleWhale’s eye!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

(it’s like soap.)

20. Sam says:

I can imagine whales never getting upset till something small set them off…I think we have one very pissed off whale in the story line now!!

21. Steve says:

Hey Ramon,
    If it fleshes out the story a bit more run with it. I want to know as much as I can about all the characters you have introduced so far. Nadia is our window into this world, and I like the fact that she was used to introduce us to the action and has stepped aside for a little while. It’s a refreshing change from your usual story of person falls down the rabbit hole.

22. annana says:

I just wanted to say, your comic is amazing!
    Incredible artwork, unique characters!

can’t wait to see what happened to nadia

yai!

23. Vlan2k says:

Almost as bad/good as: “Frog in my eye!!”.

Excellent work, as always!!

24. Doug says:

Nicely paced. I’m truly enjoying this Ramon and I, for one, cannot wait to see a collected version of this someday.

As for finding out what happened to Nadia and the delays, these things happen. The fact that we still care makes it worth the wait.

25. John Christ says:

so much bitter hatred! no bluebirds of happiness for you, just dirty pigeons of malaise!!
    MALAISE!!!

26. Beccadawson says:

i hate you

27. Tory says:

i still love you

28. Brenda says:

I also agree with Odo. We are about to meet a new character I think. Someone who creates life where our skeleton friend leaves only death in his wake. And I’m sure she’ll be wearing a hat.

29. Mothra in NYC says:

It’s still cool, dude. Facebook tells me whenever you update, so no matter how long the wait between panels, I never forget to check back in, and it’s always a pleasant surprise. Take the time you need. And keep having weird dreams!

30. Parrot says:

Him and Her?

They had better have their own towels or I’m gonna be pissed.