forty|five

forty|five

to reiterate what i said in the comments section of the previous post, and hence the tardiness of this last page, was that i decided to go pack in and insert a page between page 42 and the previous 43. making this update three pages. the extra page creates a smoother transition from last weeks update, and better conveys what i imagined taking place in my head.

i also mentioned that i will be taking the next two weeks off, it’s christmas and it may not be much of a break, but i need that little breather :)

i’ll be back continuing nadia’s tale beginning on january 8th!

to quote my papa, FELIZ NAVIDAD Y PRÓSPERO AÑO NUEVO!

all the best to you all :)

GASP! I wasn’t expecting THAT! Oh my, what a cliff hangar!

Two weeks till we see what happens to our Nadia! You sure know how to keep us on the edge of our seats! But you deserve a breather!

So on that note…..Hope your Holidays find you under the mistletoe and not in yellow snow.

2. sunshinegetsmehigh says:

hmmmm, I hope the battlewhale is somewhere near by to swoop her up, or something like that! Ramon, have a great Chhristmas, and don’t forget about us!

3. Cherish says:

I can’t tell… But I think, I think something bothers him…

Love it! Perfect match of comment to character. Mr. Skull’s reaction is proper as well. Nadia isn’t playing by the rules on _so_ many levels.

This is a *real* cliff hanger…

Have a good Christmas and New Years.

5. Jane says:

Once again, Merry Christmas.

6. Nadja says:

NOOOOOOOOO! two weeks … two … long … weeks … *sob*

no, for real now, have great holidays! i love your work, also bns!

cheers from switzerland

7. Doug says:

“I just threw my protagonist off ofo a floating island, plunging towards certain doom. By the way I’m not gonna continue that until NEXT FRICKIN YEAR!”

UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Thanks for the fabulous read so far, Ramon! Looking forward to how this picks up in the New Year.

Merry Christmas to you and yours! (All you other readers too!)

8. This story is so interesting, and that last panel is amazing. Someone else commented on the perspective, and I have to second it, that must have been tough. The art is half the fun of this comic. Have a great holiday!

9. Watanabex says:

feliz navidad carnal!

10. Ritchie says:

Thank God for that, that brat’s needed an attitude adjustment since day 1.

11. Brenda says:

I was pretty close. “You’re all kinds a lame” is close to “Bite me.”

Now she finds herself back in our world.

Capisce.

12. Brenda says:

Jane Says
    “God, I wish I could draw perspective like you can. That last panel is just amazing.”

It takes a bit of practice but it is do-able. Ramon might be a good one to sketch from. Save that last frame and bring in up in photoshop or whatever and give it a try. Don’t trace over it, draw next to it. There are plenty of books on perspective too. Check them out. You basically draw the figure over and over until you can do it on your own. It isn’t that hard, it’s doing it with style that is the hard part. Just a straight line for the deltoid? That’s style man.

13. Satelite says:

amazing!!

i really love all your work, this one is beautiful
    and Mr. Skull’s desing is great

muchas felicidades!

14. redapples says:

Late comer here but am enjoying the catch up. This series reminds me of the Comico run of ‘Fish Police’ in a number of ways:
    The protagonist dropped into a world that they don’t understand and to which they have an alien view point on.
    A cartooney feel that belies the – I suspect – darker content around the corner.
    A slowly revealed plot and sub plot.

All of these comparisons are good by the way.

15. Doug says:

PAF!

Best sound effect ever!

16. ursie says:

hmm.. what next? romance between skeleton-man & nadia? lol.

17. Garibaldi says:

Bravo ! Class Act !

Great Style. The art is a wonder to behold, the character development and storyline are superlative. I am thoroughly enjoying my visits to this incredible adventure. Good timing also…

Enjoy your holidays and have a great new year. See you in January.

18. 23c0n says:

Vaya, tengo que comentar que realmente me gusta mucho lo que estás haciendo con este webcomic. Es difícil encontrar buenos comics en los cuales la gente hable español, y aún y cuando no pones personajes dentro de tu trama hablando tan hermoso idioma, es reconfortante saber que tienes herencia de algún país de habla hispana, me da curiosidad saber de qué país.

Yo soy de México, no dibujo, porque la verdad soy pésimo para eso, pero de todos modos admiro mucho tu trabajo, es increíble la visión que tienes del mundo en el que interactúa Nadia, muy interesante en verdad.

Saludos, and keep up the good work.

Emilio (23c0n).

19. charis says:

I CANNOT BEAR TO WAIT

merry christmas

20. Sam says:

Where are your friends when you really need them??

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everybody…everywhere!

21. Violet says:

wow! this is a wonderful comic! sich a delight to read!
    do you illustrate for/have you heard of flight? (www.flightcomics.com) your story reminds me of their books.
    can’t wait for january!

22. Wandering Badman says:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    You keep posting and I’ll keep reading. I enjoy this and Butternutsquash a lot.
    I appreciate the strip because I can use it as an example to my students of how some things are just done for the joy of artistic creation. My students and I can sense the enjoyment that fills each strip/post.
    I hope you’re keeping the emails attached to these posts. I want to hear when the strip is compiled into a print format.
    Thanks.

23. ursie says:

argh ramon plsplsPLS update soon! i’m dyyying here. D:

24. Claire-Louise says:

Dude, could you find it in your heart to see some way towards making and selling posters? I would _love_ to buy one.

thank you all for the christmas wishes! i hope the holidays have been treating you all well.

i’ve been laying out the next few installments of kuku, and it’s gonna be fun. well, hopefully ;)

regarding a few direct queries…

23c0n: i am canadian born, but my father hails from spain, a small town outside of zamora called vega. whereas i was once quite fluent in spanish, these days i am quite rusty. but with a little bit of effort, and perhaps future travels, i hope to rectify that. gracias por sus complimentos!

claire-louise: i plan on doing a set of prints (as i will be having a kukuburi art show in june of next year) which i will have available via the website. unfortunately due to my schedule this probably won’t happen till march … i’ll try for sooner, but i’m not making any promises!

wandering badman: wow, that is awesome. what sort of course do you teach?

as for books, well if things go well i’d like to have something available for next year sometime. my plan is to wrap this first story up by around 100pgs, give or take. take a short break, collect the book, print it, uhm, somewhere… and then come back for another arc… that’s my hope anyway.

see you all in a short lil’ bit!

27. Peter says:

Cool story… found you from another great story comic Dreamland Chronicles http://www.thedreamlandchronicles.com/index.php

Looking forward to the next update!

28. Amy says:

Now just look what you’ve done. Here I was, innocently checking my daily webcomics, and next thing I know it is an hour later and I have read every page in the archives. Why is there not more? More, I say!

29. Alaina says:

I jumped over from Dreamland, too, and I must say… I LOVE IT!!!! It’s genius :) I think mr. skeleton’s life is about to get interesting.

30. TheAmberKey says:

Recently stumbled across your comic, Ramón. I believe I also took the link from The Dreamland Chronicles. I’ve read through the archive, and I have some feedback, if you care to hear it.

The first few strips really drew me in, and then she got transported to the crazy world: interesting, but I kept reading more out a sense of potential than actual interest. Oddness is rarely a substitute for storytelling, however innately interesting mile-high purple giraffes might be.

I think I can safely say that the strip is living up to its potential, though. Ever since Nadia met Him, I’ve been hooked. The character of Him, though of course not fleshed out (see what I did there?), is immensely interesting. We begin to see Nadia as more of a person, as well.

I hope to witness an excellent story in the time to come: though your art is quite beautiful, please don’t fall into the trap of substituting surface beauty for character development and plot. Too many comic artists get complimented on their art to the point of forgetting that the most compelling characters are more than a collection of lines and colors.

Forgive the preaching. I really do enjoy your work. ^_^

31. Cindy Bahnsen says:

I want this in book form. Your character design is awesome. Love the backgrounds too.

32. Roscoe says:

I really like the perspective in the last panel, as well as our villians sneering jaw in the first panel. It’s this sort of stuff that sets your work a cut or two above other comics.

33. Fuddle says:

Gah!! XD COME BACK SOOONNN so we can find out what happens!
    Red sunglasses totally rule.

34. Steve B says:

I too came over from Dreamland and I have to say I LOVEKUk! Looking foward to next clip!

35. Paul Psomiadis says:

Yup, also jumped over here from Dreamland Chronicles…

I was skeptical at first – but your art and storytelling are first rate!

Keep it coming!

36. Stix says:

Oooooh… hopped over here from Dreamland (tell ‘em THANKS!). Love the story. Must have Mr. Skull as my avatar!

37. Steve says:

Just a few more days…I can hold out for a few more days…The suspense isn’t killing me at all. I’m perfectly fine. Really. The epitome of calm.

38. Dizz says:

Wow. Good to see I wasn’t the only one with a two week holiday =P
    Looking forward to what’s next (ie: Transmission-X TPB’s haha!)

39. Fran says:

Hey! I just realized who the bad guy reminds me of — Horatio (David Caruso) from CSI Miami! I just love your firefly spy bug in your latest episode, btw :-)

40. Parrot says:

It would have been cooler if he just pushed her with one finger, not hit her…
    Now he actually seems agitated.

41. Somsphet says:

i loved this scene, totally epic.

42. E-rip-mave says:

AHAHAHA. Just knocks her off. :’D <3

43. stopbeingsadandbeawesome says:

LOL

44. Spens says:

I’m mad late but this comic is rockin’ my socks. It’s awesome to say the least.

45. If I have the guts to quit my job .

46. this site can help me personally to locate some good suggestions!

47. No one can do it better than you.

48. I’ll be there for you .